1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Editing Process Example, Beginning to End for Kevin Hearne's novel Tricked

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by TWErvin2, Jul 29, 2015.

1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Auror

I came across this article where bestselling fantasy author Kevin Hearne shares the writing and editing/revision process, working with editors and such, from beginning to end. It includes commentary and insight from his editor at Del Rey, which I found interesting too.

Article Link: On Revision (this title needs revision) by Kevin Hearne

A few notes from me:
    This article covers interesting topics far beyond the editing, such as working with an editor, writing a bridge novel in a series and the fact that Kevin Hearne was still working his teaching job while writing Tricked.

Note: Of the 7 novels, (and 2 novellas and various short stories), Tricked is my second favorite in the Iron Druid Chronicles, after Hexed. If you haven't had the opportunity to read them, consider giving them a try. If you're an audiobook fan, narrator Luke Daniels really brings the story to life.

And as a writer, I believe you can learn a lot from reading them, from switching POVs and managing story arcs in a series, to great characterization and character development.

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I especially liked this line:

"No matter how many drafts and rounds of polishing you do before you deliver it, the counter always starts over when you send it to the editor."

3. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner Scribe

Excellent piece - I like this line especially:

4. psychotick

psychotick Auror

Hi,

Oh to have an editor who doesn't call you names!!!

Cheers, Greg.