• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Novel writers - do you use editing services prior to submission?

Well, a good editor isn't really looking at grammar. They're looking at content and flow and scene construction and the like. Working with one for even a short period can really help you get a better grasp on some of those elements.

There are two types of editing - developemental editing - which is what is described above and line editing - which is looking at things like grammar errors, comma placment homophone errors and sometimes sentence structure. A traditional publishing house is going to have both of the above. If you are self publishing I recommend that you pay for #2...but as for #1...if you think you need developmental editing than self-publishing probably isn't for you. Developmental editing is VERY expensive and finding someone who is good is almost impossible. If you can't write a good, solid, well-paced story without plot holes then you probably shouldn't be putting it "out there". If you do want help with developmental editing find some writer groups and get critique partners - but writers each have their own "opinions" and you need to know what suggestions to take and what to cast away.

Telcontar

Staff
Agree with the above. I see no need to pay for developmental editing. Writers groups are plentiful, and many of the people in them are genuinely thoughtful and helpful (I like to think I can include myself under that heading). Critters is one of my personal favorites.

Hm. If the consensus is that there's no point in paying out of pocket for developmental editing, then I'm magically one step closer to publishing! (Since I'm already getting help from some other writers ;-))