• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Environment is everything

Erica

Minstrel
I write at my computer at home. I'm lucky in that my husband is supportive about my writing (of course, he has his own computer so we don't have to fight over computer time). I feel very bad for you, because being in a toxic environment would sap anyone's creativity.

I don't know why some people have to be such jerks (though I make educated guesses when I write them into stories). Maybe they're jealous that you're doing something productive with your free time instead of simply playing computer games, watching sports or drinking or whatever it is they do, but that's probably simplistic. Some people are just mean. I'd suggest trying to spend as much time as possible away from your 'anus' room mates and seeking out the company of like minded people. Is there a local writer's club you can join? If you're in a college environment, there may be a creative writing club, but many communities have writers' groups as well.

Do you have a laptop? If you do, finding some safe place away from your roomies to write might work. I'd never be able to concentrate in a coffee shop (the place where all the 'cool' writers are supposed to go), but maybe a deserted corner of a library or some such place would work. Yes, it is possible to take time away from writing and come back refreshed. It is also popular to start writing late in life (many successful writers have). But if you're burning to write, it's a shame to not do it.