1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Extremely Quick Punctuation Question

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Creed, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Creed

Creed Sage

Very quick, for this line:
    Do I end it with a period or a question mark? It seems kind if like a question, and when I say it in my head it is like a question, but with the question mark it looks odd to me and it is really a statement

2. Trick

Trick Auror

I would end it with an ellipse.

An ellipse expects a response without being a question. A period implies a statement, in this case a chiding one and I do not expect a response the way it is written but i agree a question mark would be inappropriate.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  3. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

It's more of a command, so IMHO period would be the correct punctuation.

To my understanding an ellipsis in fiction writing demonstrates a pause in dialogue, a pause in narrative, or a character or a narrator trailing off. I've never heard about it being used at the end of a sentence as expecting a response, but then again what I haven't heard could fill a library.

4. Creed

Creed Sage

Of course! Thank you, Trick!
    And now the thread can rest in peace.

5. Creed

Creed Sage

I think it's appropriate because it does, in a way, let the speaker trail off.

6. Trick

Trick Auror

ELLIPSIS! I knew how I wrote it felt wrong.

You are correct on it's common use, but the pause it implies can be pregnant and a pregnant pause at the end of a sentence can definitely expect a response. A mom says to her son, "Tell me you cleaned your room, Bobby..." (Begin unnerving stare)

EDIT: Pregnant pause, hence the term expecting.... hehe

I've seen it used that way and it seemed fitting to me, but I don't think it is any kind of grammatical rule, just a possible usage.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. Butterfly

Butterfly Auror

The ellipsis use depends on what you are writing. In formal writing, journalism, they are used when quoting from something/someone ... and bits are left out.

In fiction, they can indicate a pause in speech or narrative, but also to indicate a trailing off of speech or thought. I think the first of these uses has a space before ... and after the dots, and the latter no space...

M-dashes indicate interruption--

Creed and Trick like this.