• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fan-Fiction?

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I believe that writing for shared world projects like Star Wars expanded universe, games like World of Warcraft, tv series and so on is a different matter, not actually the same as writing fanfics!

I think I agree actually. The scope of those universes probably gives space for a decent level of originality, in terms of character and theme.

I've read some pretty good fan fiction, some pretty bad fan fiction, and some stuff that was absolutely hilarious, I remember this one Harry Potter fan fic, X rated Hermione/Hermione trist, only a few paragraphs, but I can't find it again... not that I'd link to it here.

I have read my fair share of SW/ST novels, and they're not what I'd consider fanfic. Most of the fanfic that I have been exposed to didn't really get the feel of the characters right., at least to me. Takes more effort to write one that's an accurate portrayal of the characters than I want to spend on something I probably will not ever be able to make money off of.

Xanados

Maester
I think I agree actually. The scope of those universes probably gives space for a decent level of originality, in terms of character and theme.
Indeed, Johnny. That is exactly why I chose to write fan-fiction in the Warcraft universe. My stories are actually incredibley loose and it allows me to forge original characters with unique personalities. They aren't associated with any of the major lore events of the MMORPG. My stories are almost completley seperate, although the name of a major lore character may be used.

Last edited:

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Indeed, Johnny. That is exactly why I chose to write fan-fiction in the Warcraft universe. My stories are actually incredibley loose and it allows me to forge original characters with unique personalities. They aren't associated with any of the major lore events of the MMORPG. My stories are almost completley seperate, although the name of a major lore character may be used.

I do have to ask - if you're lax in your approach to writing in somebody else's world, to the point where there are only references to the main cannon/lore, why not go a step further and set it in your own world? Especially considering you seem quite serious about the work.

myrddin173

Maester
Well, it seems that I will not be granted permission by Black Dragon to share my parody The Timelines of Nornium in the Showcase... Maybe I could try with that new self-promote section??

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but it has been decided that you can post it. Also how did you try to contact him? He doesn't remember getting a PM (which is probably the best way, for future reference)

As for the topic on-hand. I would have to disagree that it is always a crutch. In many cases it is, but again it isn't always. First and foremost, it is FUN. People do it for enjoyment. I have also found that the best fanfic authors can make the world their own, by adding new characters or expanding on things the original glossed over or ignored altogether and having it fit.

The author of the fanfic I mentioned in previous post started writing it when she was 13 and never thought she would make it as far as she has. She just wanted to continue on the story of her favorite anime. It's her fans that have made her continue it to its approaching conclusion. She has expanded world so that it is as much hers as it is the creators'. She has a job as a professional writer, but continues to write it. Chapters are fewer and far-er between but they are still good.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Sorry for not getting back sooner, but it has been decided that you can post it. Also how did you try to contact him? He doesn't remember getting a PM (which is probably the best way, for future reference)
Thank you, Myrddin!! I asked Black Dragon in a thread called "How to use the Showcase" describing what the story is like =) The problem with The Timelines of Nornium is not just the fact that it is derivative work: Also, the story contains dangerous material and I fear that it could become a seed of conflict if I actually post it... are you sure that it's alright??

myrddin173

Maester
Thank you, Myrddin!! I asked Black Dragon in a thread called "How to use the Showcase" describing what the story is like =) The problem with The Timelines of Nornium is not just the fact that it is derivative work: Also, the story contains dangerous material and I fear that it could become a seed of conflict if I actually post it... are you sure that it's alright??

I would send a PM to Black Dragon.

Xanados

Maester
I do have to ask - if you're lax in your approach to writing in somebody else's world, to the point where there are only references to the main cannon/lore, why not go a step further and set it in your own world? Especially considering you seem quite serious about the work.

I do see your point, Johnny, but I just feel that the setting I have my current work is already to far embedded and it is feels necessary for the story to be told. I could probably replace the names of lore characters (the few that I'd use) and places very easily, but I'm sort of writing them as a tribute. I probably sound like the only thing I write is fan-fiction but, as I have said before, I am working on my own project. Writing fan-fiction is more like a tribute to the franchise, I feel. The one I am currently working on right now will be the last I do for a long time.

I seem quite serious about the work because it's based in one my most loved universes of all time. Still, I know it's something that you can't get paid for. It's only something to improve my writing, gain experience and just generally take a break from my main project.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have read my fair share of SW/ST novels, and they're not what I'd consider fanfic.

I agree. If you're writing officially-licensed, published works, even though they are set in a shared universe I wouldn't call them fanfic.

Some professional writers might write a fanfic story here and there (like Steven Brust did with Firefly), but the authors who are writing the published Star Wars books you see on the shelves are not writing fanfic in my view.

Xanados

Maester
I agree. If you're writing officially-licensed, published works, even though they are set in a shared universe I wouldn't call them fanfic.

Some professional writers might write a fanfic story here and there (like Steven Brust did with Firefly), but the authors who are writing the published Star Wars books you see on the shelves are not writing fanfic in my view.
Of course. I wouldn't say that R. A Salvatore, who is writing in the Forgotten Realms universe, is writing fan-fiction.

Reaver

Staff

So if I wanted to write this whole sci-fi/fantasy with, oh, I don't know...sentient, talking bi-pedal pigs dressed in shiny,
mid-70's "Buck Rogers" spacesuits who fly around the universe in a pig-shaped starship getting into one crazy adventure after another...would that be considered fanfic? I'm just asking, because I have like...two pages written so far....

Xanados

Maester
So if I wanted to write this whole sci-fi/fantasy with, oh, I don't know...sentient, talking bi-pedal pigs dressed in shiny,
mid-70's "Buck Rogers" spacesuits who fly around the universe in a pig-shaped starship getting into one crazy adventure after another...would that be considered fanfic? I'm just asking, because I have like...two pages written so far....
No. That's fiction based heavily on an existing... I'm just kidding, that's not based at all on Star Wars, obviously. But you get my point, hopefully.

Fan-fiction, to me at least, is when you're writing in an existing world and you are using existing elements from that world. Just because you're writing about pigs in space doesn't make it Star Wars fan-fiction.

I think that's what you're talking about anyway...

Steerpike

Felis amatus

So you're writing Pigs In Space fanfic? I bet there's not much of that floating around! :D

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The interesting thing about Warcraft is that it is almost a sort of fanfic in its own right. The original Warcraft was more or less taken from Warhammer. Even though the lore has evolved since then, it is still there are its root and they've kept the look and feel. I prefer the Warhammer lore on the whole, however.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have a little fanfiction about Jedi Knights travelling to have vacations in Middle-Earth, where they meet Aes Sedai that happen to be visiting the Shire and then Frodo and Sam decide to make both sides fight to see what happens... Just in case anyone is interested in reading it =)