• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Races...Help!

Mythopoet

Auror
Like midgets? (Not trying to be mean lol)

lol Like Hobbits, Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves (though I prefer something cuter than the average Dwarf) etc. Most fantasy MMORPGs will have a race of "little people" if they have multiple races. WoW has Gnomes and Goblins. GW2 has Asura. FFXIV has Lalafell (who are cute as HECK). ArcheAge has the generic Dwarf males but the females are super cute. Usually inspired by some variant of "little people" from mythology. You find the concept all over the world. Little people (mythology) - Wikipedia

RedAngel

Minstrel
I caught myself starting to go on a rant last night so I decided to wait until the morning.

Even though shows like SAO are good story telling with a good plot premise, I really feel like it does not even remotely resemble an mmo outside of the nifty matrixy head gear. It had a few elements in the beginning that were MMO-like but beyond the start of each plot arc that was it. Don't get me wrong they are now turning it into a VRMMO now that looks incredibly fun. The thing is that the hundreds of mmo's that exist now are nearly nothing like that at all.

If you want to dig into the premise behind SAO's Aelheim arc, just watch the Thor movies, or watch a docuumentary on Norse Mythology. Then follow it up with checking out the MMO Aeon. It is basically the same exact game as Aelfheim.

Mythopoet

Auror
I caught myself starting to go on a rant last night so I decided to wait until the morning.

Even though shows like SAO are good story telling with a good plot premise, I really feel like it does not even remotely resemble an mmo outside of the nifty matrixy head gear. It had a few elements in the beginning that were MMO-like but beyond the start of each plot arc that was it. Don't get me wrong they are now turning it into a VRMMO now that looks incredibly fun. The thing is that the hundreds of mmo's that exist now are nearly nothing like that at all.

Well, there are a couple things to consider. SAO takes place in the near future. Also it's an MMO made specifically for a Japanese audience. We don't know what MMOs are going to be like in near future Japan. We do know that just a handful of years is enough to lead to big changes in what MMOs are like.

Furthermore, it's an MMO made specifically for use with the nerve gear. There's no reason to think that an MMO made to be experienced as a virtual reality would be anything like MMOs today.

So maybe try to suspend your disbelief a bit?

If you want to dig into the premise behind SAO's Aelheim arc, just watch the Thor movies, or watch a docuumentary on Norse Mythology. Then follow it up with checking out the MMO Aeon. It is basically the same exact game as Aelfheim.

No, don't watch the Thor movies to get an idea of what Norse Mythology is like. Reading the wikipedia entry on Norse Mythology would be better than that.

RedAngel

Minstrel
Lol the Thor movie was a joke. But seriously Aelfheim is pretty much Aeon. If anything look at some pk fights on youtube and youll see fairly right away.

Don't get me wrong I thouroughly enjoyed the anime in the various arcs and hoped that it was a real thing. Lo and behold IBM is going to do just that and I really hope it is as close to the show as possible. With using watson and cloud computing amongst body scanning and omni directional treadmills it is looking good. Even if it is more external that mental. Things like neural sky and other EEG things are making their way into the market and they are learning more and more about brainwaves every day and the advent of quantum computing slowly reaching the hands of companies. Most importantly though IBM is going to release SAO on the time frame of the game and I hope one day it comes to the US.I have enough saved up for everything it would need if it did. So trust me my belief is not suspended. It is an eventuality.