• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favourite Chemical Element?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Yeah, we have an Adamantium mine up in the mountains!! =) It can be easily extracted with hydrofluoric acid and then they sell it at the Mall at the All Adamantium shop, I buy flat stock and then I make the swords...

You have Adamantium?

Reaver, I have this really cheap land down in Florida, if you're interested...? No? OK, had to ask. =)

Thinking about it, I might change my vote to hydrogen, on the grounds that it is the Writer's True Element.

Why? Because hydrogen atoms are like words: put enough of them together, and you can create anything you want. =)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Oxygen

I almost died of pneumonia at the age of 21. After not breathing for God-knows-how-many minutes, I was momentarily convinced that breathing was better than any food or sex. I was a virgin at the time, but I had my share of fine steaks.

Why is everyone looking at me like...?

Now I'm happily married to a good cook, but still: go without oxygen for a while. You'll stop taking it for granted.

*Scoff!* Gold, schmold.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@Ravana
Wow. I used to work for a jeweler, and so I am familiar with most of these (by their common names) but, thank you for making me smile as I fondly recalled the awesomeness that is learning about minerals. I have a star sapphire, and I never knew that! Who knew when it was sitting in my jewelry box next to my rutilated quartz, it was hanging out with its cousin the whole time. Thanks for the walk down memory lane and the personal touch.

On a side note, I am not as knowledgeable as you about minerals, but I do get excited about them; and when we went to the V&A I about died. They have a room so long you can't see to the end, and just rows and rows of some of the prettiest mineral specimens you can imagine. If you have never gone, and are ever in London, I would recommend having a look. I could have stayed in that room all day; my husband had to drag me out.

Corvus

Scribe
Mercury, I like the color and haw it's a liquid but it's not wet if you touch it. Found that fascinating since I was a kid.

Corvus

Scribe
I know that. In my country (Slovenia) we haw these rely old mercury mine. I think it's from the mid 16th century. It's now a museum and they haw these bowl of it so visitors can see what it looks like and even touch it. They do tell you it's poisonous and you can wash you're hands immediately afterwards. I was there about 10 years ago and am fine no mercury poisoning. :D