• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Feedback from Peers

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I found an interesting site not long ago called YouWriteOn. You can upload novel excerpts or short stories and from what I understand your excerpt is then sent out to random people who read and rate it. It seems less intensive than Critters (which I also joined and it just seemed too much for me; it feels like it's more for people who have loads of time) so that may appeal to some people.

It's worth a look!

Diz

That seems like a nice site, but I'm worried that my story would have too many typos and grammar issues.

TWErvin2

Auror
That seems like a nice site, but I'm worried that my story would have too many typos and grammar issues.

Diz,

If your draft has these issues (too many grammar concerns and typos), it's really not ready to have readers. As I stated in a previous post in this thread, those will distract the reader, if not become their focus, and they won't be able to help you where the story really might need attention.

Plus, a draft that has those concerns and typos will deter someone from reading another draft of a different novel in the future. It could leave a bad taste in their mouth.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but if you know there are errors bad enough for a certain website to submit to, why would it be good enough for any reader who's willing to assist you?

Work on fixing those errors. One way is to read the piece aloud. It takes time but items of concern will rise to the surface. Read it backwards, paragraph by paragraph. You won't get caught up in the story as much and will catch some things.

While writing can be exciting and fun, it is also a lot of work and time consuming.

Good luck as you move forward.