• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Feedback

Max Roe

Acolyte
So as a few of you may know, I'm currently working on an online role playing game for PC. The storyline is still very basic, because I just finished tweaking the engine for content development. I was looking for a bit of feedback, and I also had a question. I'm having trouble going from the storyline to the actual plot and the motivation for the players. It's difficult because I have to write something that will be specific and detailed, yet be broad enough to cover anyone who plays. Any suggestions would be great, as well as feedback on the actual storyline. Thanks!

King Simeon Whyte ruled over the lands of Serran for 33 years before he was struck down. Third in his lineage, his family was well known for being great warriors, and even better leaders. They cared about their people, each and every one of them. But that's not the way it is any longer.

When King Simeon was killed, everything changed. Belro Avery was a well known villain, having desolated New Mill Haven but 4 years prior. But nobody thought he would ever dare challenge the King, nor His army. When Belro stormed the gates of the castle, there was something different about his army. Something dark in the eyes, the souls even, of the soldiers.

They slaughtered anyone and everyone in their path, showing mercy not to child nor mother. When they finally got to King Whyte, his royal guard was tossed aside as if they were untrained rookies. To this day, Belro keeps with him the dagger that ended the life and reign of the Whyte family.

You have a choice. One path is to join the survivors of Simeon Whyte's army and his followers and fight Belro in an attempt to regain control of Serran. The other pits you in the ranks of Belro Avery's massive army of evil. Fight the Whtye rebels and gain more territorial control over Serran.

I think starting in the evil army out of necessity, then being given the choice, over many battles, decisions, and influence, to fight with, against, or independent of the army would make for a much more interesting story. Who do you ally with, who do you turn on...

It may be more complex than you are able to handle, but would make an epic game.

Max Roe

Acolyte
I actually really like that idea! So maybe Belro has been in power for a little bit longer, and he's gained military control over most of the cities. You start as a resident of your chosen city, and either join his army or are drafted possibly against your will. Sorry, just kind of brainstorming. I like where this is going though.

I think the game mechanics and possible endgames should be planned first, then work backwards.

I would not give the player a choice in the beginning, they start a soldier, and the player outside of the game decides if they want to support the army. Think games like Fable,Dragon Age, or KOTOR, each decision moves the player to one alignment or another. I don't like feeling I am on the rails unless it is for a cheap thrill. (Good RPG knows no age)

I also would care less about the details now, write the arc, vague, write the story to fit the arc, and write the missions and quests to fit the story and arc.

Max Roe

Acolyte
Sound's like a good idea, thanks for the help! Helped me get back on the roll, damn writers block had me good. Haha