• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

fighting the good fight?

ascanius

Inkling
I've been watching the news lately about the 200 girl that were kidnapped in Nigeria. Melancholy cannot really describe it but it's the only word that comes to mind. I start thinking of a story I wish I could substitute for the real world, one where these girl are not left alone. One were someone unleashes their fury like a destroying angel upon evil. One where someone fights the indifference of the the world.

Most of my characters are based off such ideas sparked by stories in the news. One of my heroines endure an extremely traumatic childhood and now fights the good fight because someone must. She never seeks vengeance nor gets it but she fights.

I wonder if anyone else does this? Dose anyone else take events from the real world and create stories about how they wished events would turn out? I know these ideas are used but does any base their stories off of such events?

I hope that made sense this news story bothered me so maybe I'm just ranting

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Honestly I try not to. No doubt my subconscious will hide how I feel away and bring it back to remind me at some later point. There are lots of terrible things in the world and each one fights for our attention, our emotion, our response, and sometimes just for air-time...
I will use my personal events in my stories [sometimes not too heavily disguised, but you would have to know me very well nevertheless] but I don't feel I have the right [or ability] to write someone else's tale.

I like to use certain problems and explore them--not events so much. I am especially interested in exploring the way that people with disabilities are treated by society and the way that people with mental disorders try to fit in with said society. The story itself is based on other stuff, but the characters are heavily influenced by things in the world around me.

As for taking things from life and turning them into a story, I think that's totally fine. However, you must find a way to make to story totally yours (inspired by a real-world event) as opposed to a fantastically regurgitated tale of real-world events. I know that sounds harsh, and I am certainly NOT saying that is what you are doing. It is a pitfall to be aware of, however--James Cameron's movie Avatar was smashed by critics for being a total rip-off of Native Americans standing against the U.S. army, with hardly any attempt to disguise it. Native Americans were simply replaced by aliens. Retelling the downfall of the Native Americans and expounding upon military cruelty is an admirable goal--but the movie executed it in a clumsy and obvious fashion. Subtlety and truly owning the story are the two keys to making the kind of tale you are describing into a success--and by making it a success you are giving agency to those poor lost women in a very powerful way.

eliec

Dreamer
I tend to use people more than events. I based an entire character on one guy I saw in my morning commute, just because of the way he said a particular sentence. That put a whole scene in my head right there.

Amanita

Maester
Interesting subject.
I strongly tend to use the news in my stories and I've been doing so from a young age. The beginning of my story is strongly inspired by a real-life event, not a very well-known one but I'm not sure if this makes it better or worse. I'm still unsure if I'm supposed to keep it or change it. The final decision will probably be made when I've finished the story. Keeping some distance rather than creating a thinly disguised fantastical version of something real is important I think.
Stories about people, especially women, being abducted, forced into slavery and rescued are not that rare in fantasy and it's horrible that it happened in real life.
I don't think there's anything wrong with using that as plotline per se but I hate it if sexual violence and the like are exploited or even romanticised. I'm not accusing you of anything like that, it's more a staple of bad fanfic.

It's rather creepy if some of the events in your story turn true in real life though. I've had a civil war for quite a while and there used to be a plotline involving a chemical attack where government and rebells both accuse the opposite side. When this actually happened in Syria, I cut the plotline only to find out that my villainess who's involved in this civil war and supported by the "good side" at first before the they recognize her for what she truly is strongly resembles Julija Timoschenko. This would create a politicial commentary I don't want to give. I don't feel capable of judging the situation in Ukraine at all.
For this reason, I'm keeping the civil war at the edge of the story at the moment, having the main plot happen in the more peaceful parts of the world with conflicts on a smaller scale. Maybe I should get rid of the civil war completely but I need to get the villains into power in one country and this seemed like a logical path to go there.

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
I would be lying if I said I never considered using real-world problems to build the foundation for a story. For example, one story idea I've recently entertained invoked themes of imperialism, religious zealotry, racism, and maybe colorism (i.e. oppression based on skin color within a so-called racial group).

For me the challenge comes in when I have to characterize the antagonist and get into their head. When you care deeply about an issue, you don't tend to see the opposing viewpoint as anything more than monstrously evil and can't understand the way they tick. That's not so much a roadblock if you've set out to write a clear-cut story about good vanquishing evil, but few readers have the patience for one-dimensional villains anymore.

Furthermore, when you choose to base your story on a current event or problem, you risk dating the story's relevance. It's rather like how a pop-culture reference in comedy dates the humor. On the other hand some stories deal with such universal and longstanding problems for humanity that they develop a timeless appeal. I don't know about the other writers here, but I think there's something to be said for having a story which lasts through the ages.

Hi,

First Avatar was "smashed" as it was put not because it has anything to do with a retelling of native Americans resisting colonisation. It was smashed because it is derivative - in essence it is "Dances With Wolves" or "The Last Of The Mohicans" in space. (And both of those were excellent movies.) Second if "smashed" means sold billions than I'd like to be smashed. And third and perhaps most relevent to this topic, there are no new stories. Colonisation is an age old human conflict that occurred long before white men came to America. It's legitimate fodder for anyone to construct a story around. And what comes net if we accept this concept that we can't simply take historical events, change a few things and put them out. Things like say tyrants and rebellions? (Star Wars just got smashed.) Romance? (Mills and Boon just went belly up.) The violence of War? (That was probably half the big budget action movie going up in smoke.)

And in response to the OP, do I sometimes write characters who can do things I can't do but wish I could, like rescue these poor girls? Or take some sort of vengeance on those who do these terrible things? Yes, of course. A lot of writing is about wish fulfilment. And lets face it no one wants to write about people doing the things we all can do - like washing the dishes. (Except maybe Heinlein!)

Cheers, Greg.