• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

First Person POV with Interludes

Barsook

Minstrel
Would anyone read a story/novel that was written in first person POV of the main character, the protagonist, but there are also some sections of other character's first person POV in these chapters that are called interludes? These interludes would be used for the other characters to tell their story (of course dealing with the main plot). Almost like what Seven Brust did in one of his novels. Would that be readable if done correctly and how many interludes would be alright for a novel without over doing it?

I'm planning to do this for a novel but I want some feedback on this POV.

Nathan_Boole

Dreamer
I'd totally be willing to read that. Obviously, the better written it is, the more I'd want to read it.

It's not easy to make multiple 1st person viewpoints compelling, partly because you, as a writer, will need to make their voices very distinct from each other so that the reader will be able to tell them apart in the middle of things, while at the same time making all the viewpoints interesting and sympathetic enough for the reader to keep going.

Finally, you have to write the other first person viewpoints in such a way that they do not "steal" the book from the protagonist. This is probably stuff that is best to figure out by getting the opinions of alpha or beta readers. Another possibility is to write the protagonist from 1st person and to write other viewpoints from a close limited 3rd person. That is what I'm currently attempting in my NaNoNovel, but whether or not it will end up staying that way is up for grabs, ha.

Anyway, I think multiple 1st person viewpoints CAN work, you will just have to work hard to make it stick, particularly for a genre audience, where people are more interested in plot and characters than in prose virtuosity.

I would say, if multiple 1st persons feels right to you for your story, then write it that way! Then, have other folks read it, and listen to what they say about it. If many readers are saying that the viewpoints don't work for them, then you may need to change it.

Take care!

Barsook

Minstrel
I was thinking about using third person limited for the interludes like flashbacks. Because, in my novel, they are flashbacks telling the history of Torzukarr, but I want to also add a voice for the different characters...well, um, yeah, I could that with first person. The problem is the novels that always have that switching first person POV (for me) are hard to follow. But then again, I might not have that problem if I just do one or two interludes per major part of the novel.

Some random afterthought: I think stating that the chapter is an interlude would not work well than not stating that.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'd read it if done well. I've read books with a first person MC and then other sections told from the perspective of other viewpoint characters. Personally, I feel if this is what you want to write you should do it and you should disregard anyone who tells you they simply won't read something like this.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Why not at least give it a try? Experiment with it. What do you have to lose?

Just understand that a lot of people have a difficult time swallowing multiple 1st POV because it can be jarring jumping from one head to another when all refer to themselves as "I".

That certainly doesn't mean it can't be done. It will be more difficult to do well, in my opinion, but there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself as a writer and stepping outside your comfort zone. At lot of growth can occur by doing exactly that....