• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Giving back, Marketing, and Community Good Will.

Telcontar

Staff
Finished QUEEN and posted my review. Should be up before long. Ben, I'll also send you some additional thoughts later tonight! I enjoyed the book, and look forward to the next one.

Also: Thanks, TW. Hope you like it!

Sweet! And yes, I do intend to cover that question in the next book. (I should have had someone wonder at least once "Why is this happening?" but in practical fact nobody has any idea, so it wouldn't have gone beyond that.)

Telcontar

Staff
I figured you intended to address the question eventually, but I can't believe you didn't at least raise it in the first book. ;)

Didn't get to those "other thoughts" as fast as I wanted, but I'll get them to you eventually.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Okay, I bought (from B&N, thanks for making it available there) Queen of Mages and read it.

My reviews are up at Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, and on my blog. You can see the blog version here.

It's a good book. As we discussed, the sample didn't draw me in, but, once I got into it, I found it hard to put down. I really liked how much emphasis was placed on the character relationships, and I also found the plot to be interesting and original.

As to why I didn't like the sample (these are purely personal; I'm just including this thinking you might like an explanation):

The prologue and the shifting of character POV with every chapter reminded me too much of GRRM. By the end of A Dance with Dragons, I found myself loathing ASOFAI.

I tend to gravitate to stories about commoners who rise to great power rather than stories about the nobility.

Again, both of those are just personal preferences that you can't do anything about. I would say, though, that Chapter 1 could have probably been made to have a bit more tension or emotion. Something just seemed to be missing. The thought crossed my mind while reading it that a lot of the chapter could have been excluded.

On the other hand, once I got past the first couple of chapters, I absolutely loved the rest of the book. The shifting viewpoints worked. The relationships worked. I found the storyline of "what would happen if magic is suddenly introduced to an established world" quite interesting.

Thanks for the read!

Thanks for the review! I am beginning to realize that the first 4-5 chapters could definitely have been ratcheted up in terms of dramatic intensity -- I intended them to be an introduction to the characters, with only relatively minor dramatic conflicts, so that once the main inciting incident occurs (at the end of chapter 5) you know the characters. Some people have said they don't mind this, others have said they'd prefer it to be more intense up front.

That said, the sequel definitely will not have long build-up before the intense stuff starts ;)

Wow, I'm way late to the boat here, huh?

Any reviews on mine would be great, but I know mine is priced at the mass-market paperback level and not the self-published ebook level so I'm not holding my breath :p

Anyway, I am interested in reading any story from someone I know. My current reading list is the following:

Queen of Mages (purchased and in-progress--although someone commented they were a glacier...then I must be the bloody ice age: I guess three jobs doesn't leave much time for reading -_-)
Lorelei and the Lost & Found Monster
Flank Hawk
Critical Failures

--these will be the next three I purchase after my next (or maybe 2-3) credit card payment(s).

This is because Benjamin and Steerpike have been interacting (with me) the most of the published authors and Flank Hawk has been recommended SEVERAL times while Critical Failures just looks interesting to me.
EDIT: I've also had Steven Erikson recommended to me SEVERAL times and that may worm its way in there somewhere.

I will post reviews on Amazon and on my blog and pretty much anywhere else requested--but not if it is below 3 stars (unless you want that...)
EDIT: Will also tweet (which gets copied to Facebook/Myspace pages) and Google+ about reviews.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Next on my list is a book on Amazon marketing, Making a Killing on Kindle.

After that, I plan to read one of Telcontar's works. The Giant of Tidesmouth sounds most interesting to me, but it would probably be more helpful for me to review Twixt.

I'm still having doubts about Steerpike's Lorelei. Did anyone have trouble reviewing a children's book? I'm not sure of the criteria I would use. I have a two year old at home, and he barely pays attention to very short works with lots of pictures. Any opinions on this work would have to be my own.

I'll also try to get around to checking out The Throne of Ao at some point.

So little to read; so much time. Wait. Stop. Reverse that.

Next on my list is a book on Amazon marketing, Making a Killing on Kindle.

I'm still having doubts about Steerpike's Lorelei. Did anyone have trouble reviewing a children's book? I'm not sure of the criteria I would use. I have a two year old at home, and he barely pays attention to very short works with lots of pictures. Any opinions on this work would have to be my own.

I'll also try to get around to checking out The Throne of Ao at some point.

Let us know how the marketing book is please!

My idea for Steerpike's is that I am a kid at heart so I should be fine ;) Also, I am of the opinion that entertainment for any specific age group should be enjoyable for all age groups to an extent, so I am hoping that the story holds up to that expectation. I am also looking forward to seeing what math is involved in it as I read in a review that it involved math at one point.

I appreciate trying to get around to checking out Throne of Ao! Let me know when your short story and book release please. Thank you!
EDIT: Followed your blog on blogger--if anyone else has a blog (or twitter or google+ or facebook) they'd like me to check out. Please let me know. Sorry to say, but I generally skip signatures anymore so I am probably unaware of it :p

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Let us know how the marketing book is please!

Definitely!

My idea for Steerpike's is that I am a kid at heart so I should be fine Also, I am of the opinion that entertainment for any specific age group should be enjoyable for all age groups to an extent, so I am hoping that the story holds up to that expectation.

I'll probably read other reveiws about it first. If it sounds like something I'd enjoy reading, I'll do it.

I appreciate trying to get around to checking out Throne of Ao! Let me know when your short story and book release please.

No problem and will do!

Followed your blog on blogger

Cool. Thanks!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
After reading a lot about reviews lately, I'm starting to have concerns about this thread. My understanding of the arrangement is: I'll buy and review your book if you buy and review mine.

First point - It seems dishonest of me to have this kind of arrangement without disclaiming it. But, if you disclaim it, the reviews lose impact.

Second point - There are better ways to get reviews. You can contact book bloggers, people who inhabit the top lists of Amazon reviewers, and people who have reviewed books similar to yours.

Third point - This kind of arrangement does lead to problems. I don't think any of you want me to give your book a horrible review. I know that I don't want to actively solicit a review if it ends up being more negative than positive. From the point of a reviewer, it's not that much of a problem. I'll read your sample. If I don't like it, I won't read it. What happens, however, when it's time for you to review my book based on the fact that I've reviewed yours? What if you hate it? I don't think these problems are insurmountable, but they are a drain.

I think there is value in the following (a subtle change):

We all want to support each other. We make this an announcement thread where you solicit reviews for your work with no obligation on the part of the one being reviewed.

I'll be the first to take this stand. If I have reviewed your book, I will announce to you when I publish my own. I would appreciate it if you take a look at it. If you like it, I would appreciate it if you would buy it and write a review. If from the description and sample you don't feel like you'll enjoy the book or simply don't feel like doing a review, you are under absolutely no obligation to buy it or review it.

JCFarnham

Auror
No revision needed.

It was always about no obligation support. The "problem" with the arrangement being do you or do you not give bad reviews isn't a problem. I always wanted honesty here.

The point behind this thread was; "Hey, we have community of like-minded individuals here. We have people who want reviews. It's a match made in heaven. Rather than people sitting around twiddling their thumbs lets get this out in the open". And not an awful lot else, because to my mind a review is a review. Like Michael S said somewhere, the act of being reviewed a decent amount of times lends credibility. The point isn't to pick and choose those who'll give you only good reviews, that looks mighty suspicious as do reviews from friends.

I thought the honesty angle went with out saying. We're not talking about a business transaction here, or what's efficient, we're friends right? It's all good. :) Like I said, good will. Promotion starts with those you know. In turn they know people, and they know other people. That's meme theory I suppose.

Those who I've promised to review, I will review. I'm a slow reader compared to you lot (but I've said that before haven't I).

After reading a lot about reviews lately, I'm starting to have concerns about this thread. My understanding of the arrangement is: I'll buy and review your book if you buy and review mine.

First point - It seems dishonest of me to have this kind of arrangement without disclaiming it. But, if you disclaim it, the reviews lose impact.

Second point - There are better ways to get reviews. You can contact book bloggers, people who inhabit the top lists of Amazon reviewers, and people who have reviewed books similar to yours.

Third point - This kind of arrangement does lead to problems. I don't think any of you want me to give your book a horrible review. I know that I don't want to actively solicit a review if it ends up being more negative than positive. From the point of a reviewer, it's not that much of a problem. I'll read your sample. If I don't like it, I won't read it. What happens, however, when it's time for you to review my book based on the fact that I've reviewed yours? What if you hate it? I don't think these problems are insurmountable, but they are a drain.

I think there is value in the following (a subtle change):

We all want to support each other. We make this an announcement thread where you solicit reviews for your work with no obligation on the part of the one being reviewed.

I'll be the first to take this stand. If I have reviewed your book, I will announce to you when I publish my own. I would appreciate it if you take a look at it. If you like it, I would appreciate it if you would buy it and write a review. If from the description and sample you don't feel like you'll enjoy the book or simply don't feel like doing a review, you are under absolutely no obligation to buy it or review it.

I think it's good that you stated this in the open (because as Michael Sullivan mentioned), a reader that does some digging and finds this might be disappointed.

Luckily ;) I was already "safe" 'cuz I only announced who I planned on reading--which I had already planned on reading before the existence of the blog. Since I have my own review blog now, it actually benefits me to read yins' books.

Telcontar

Staff
Put an honest disclosure in the review and you're covered. Few people will be swayed by any one review (save maybe by somebody they know) - it's the combined weight of reviews that you are adding to. Do it honestly and there is nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure what is next up on my Community Support reading list... I'll have to browse the offerings again. :) For now I'm struggling to keep my writing time intact against the full-court press that life is currently putting on me. Reading time has fallen by the wayside for a bit.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Dan:

Thank you for the kind, positive review. I appreciate it. I will buy "Publish & Perish" and return the favor :) Can I review it at Smashwords, or is there some other place I should be posting a review?

robertbevan

Troubadour
twervin2. just a note to let you know i'm still reading flank hawk. it's been busy around here, so the reading is slow going. but we have a small vacation right now anf i've read through chapter three. loving it so far.

TWErvin2

Auror
twervin2. just a note to let you know i'm still reading flank hawk. it's been busy around here, so the reading is slow going. but we have a small vacation right now anf i've read through chapter three. loving it so far.

Cool and I understand being busy. School year (teaching) is well underway for me and my reading and even writing has very much slowed down. Hope you enjoy the rest of Flank Hawk! :)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Cool and I understand being busy. School year (teaching) is well underway for me and my reading and even writing has very much slowed down. Hope you enjoy the rest of Flank Hawk! :)

I'll one up Robert; I'm almost done with Blood Sword. Hope to finish it next weekend if not before.