• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good Advice

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Here are my set of rules for you (I duck a brick thrown by Christopher Wright). Actually, it’s not a list of rules, just wanted to get the brick thing in.

I made this list to help me internalize some of the comments I’ve gotten from one member of my writing group. He’s helped my writing improve more than anyone else. I thought maybe some others might gain some benefit from it as well.

1. Set the scene. My first attempts at stories had almost no reference to the setting. I wrote what happened in the scene but didn’t give any descriptions of the surroundings. I’m not even sure I fully visualized it. It’s important, however, that the reader be able to see what’s happening. Now, I try to think of it like the backdrop of a play. Give the reader the important details: a cardboard tree and a few props allow them to imagine they’re there. I’m still not great at this yet and often he has to point out where I’ve failed to fully develop it as necessary. I am, however, starting to be able to spot this deficiency in other’s writing. It’s only a few short steps from that point to getting better at finding it in my own.

2. Be active. The first time I went to writing group, wases filled my work. In a 1500 word segment, I think he circled more than fifty uses. I’m better at this now. I only use the dreaded word when I can’t find a way around it.

3. Don’t be redundant and say the same thing twice. :) This is an actual sentence from my WIP: Xan told them most of the story, leaving out only… On his advice, it became simply: Xan left out… I catch these most of the time.

4. Clearly state what’s physically happening. My overriding principle seems to be: eliminate unnecessary words. It’s great advice, but sometimes I get rid of the necessary ones. The reader needs to be able to follow the flow of action. I need to be clearer in communicating it to them instead of leaving too much for their interpretation. I also need to do a better job of visualizing the scene. Recently, he told me he didn’t like how my character reacted to a shadow of a falling object. I actually went in my back yard and threw a beach ball high above me in a situation much like my character’s. After watching the shadow of the ball, I described the scene in better, more accurate, detail.

5. Get in the character’s head. In third person, it’s much harder to relate emotions. He’s helped me by adding a lot of little phrases that ramp up the reader’s access to the protagonist’s mind even without internal dialogue. Describing watery eyes and trembling lips are details that help establish the tone.

6. Make dialogue more personal. I tend to write sentences like this one: “Let’s have Dylan take point today.” His version is better: “I want Dylan to take point today.” I’m struggling with this as the difference is important but subtle.

7. Add action to dialogue. I suck at this. In my version, my characters nod heads and raise eyebrows. He helps me have them thrust fists into tables.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCFarnham

Auror
Altogether sound advice as long as one leaves room for stylistic choices. (I won't go on about it. You should probably know where I stand on that kind of thing by now right? haha)

This, if it does anything as far as advice goes, emphasises the need to get fresh eyes on your writing. You've clearly learned from the experience, and so I don't see why others can't do the same.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Altogether sound advice as long as one leaves room for stylistic choices. (I won't go on about it. You should probably know where I stand on that kind of thing by now right? haha)

This, if it does anything as far as advice goes, emphasises the need to get fresh eyes on your writing. You've clearly learned from the experience, and so I don't see why others can't do the same.

I do understand.

It's hard to convey with generalities what I'm gleaning from specific comments. There's no substitute for having someone tear your work to pieces.

JCFarnham

Auror
It's hard to convey with generalities what I'm gleaning from specific comments. There's no substitute for having someone tear your work to pieces.

Indeed! Context is the key in good advice, as always.

So with that in mind. Everyone... go find some beta readers!

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
My opinion on rules is well known but to elaborate a bit on that....

Rules, like yours BW, are extremely helpful to keep us on track towards writing a good piece of fiction. I try to follow my rules list about 90% of the time. There are a couple I never break.

If I'm going to break away from that guiding list of rules, I do it with a conscious choice, knowing that the departure is intended to enhance the story for some reason.

Sometimes that works, sometimes it utterly fails and I have to rewrite according to my rules.

As JC and yourself mentioned, having a good group of critical readers to tear your piece apart is exceedingly valuable. It's the only way I've ever been able tell if the departure was successful or miserable. It's so hard, if not impossible, to judge my own work objectively.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think critical readers are vital, and it is important to have a group of them so you can see when there is a consensus on certain points. Many beginning writers have a hard time telling good advice from bad advice, and there is plenty of latter to go around in writing circles. Writers need to know the difference.

Also, I would like to note that the post above was written in all caps, and the board converted it to lowercase. Just in case you were worried I was losing my edge--no, it's just that the board software is stronger than me...

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I too struggle with the exact things you pointed out. I think I need to find a way to work closer with people who are working through the same issues I am.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
It's so hard, if not impossible, to judge my own work objectively.

No joke. It's so difficult to tell if I'm writing a masterpiece or complete crap!

Rules, like yours BW, are extremely helpful to keep us on track towards writing a good piece of fiction.

These really weren't meant to be rules, just a list of stuff that I'm working on improving in my writing.

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
BWFoster78 said:
These really weren't meant to be rules, just a list of stuff that I'm working on improving in my writing.

I get that. Just saying that guiding lists like these can be very helpful.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I do want to develop an overall list at some point, but I've too much actual writing to do. More important, I think, is working on an edit list.