• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good Evening Everybody

KCross

Acolyte
I'm 28 years old and I have been fiddling with an idea of writing a book since I was in High School. I've never received any formal training in writing or anything along those lines. Simply read thousands upon thousands of books and decided I wanted to write my own. At this time I have finally progressed far enough and have enough understanding and knowledge that I have created my world. My main characters are all planned out, the basic plot, and a history of this world that goes back more than a thousand years so far.

I just hit the 50,000 word mark in the past week in just my first 14 chapters of my planned 30. Most likely the book will be close to 120,000 words by the time I'm finished with it. The near first half of the story I have given to a few friends and family members. They all put in their two cents and told me if they enjoyed it or not. Overall I received generally positive feedback on my writing.

The problem I'm running into is that these people are mostly family so they will not give me proper criticsm in my eyes. Therefore I have joined this site in hopes of receiving more and hopefully more realistic criticsm as well as finding help when I have hit a wall or unsure how to progress a story or character further.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome, KCross. There is a Showcase section here, though it's mainly for short excerpts. Look around on the net and you'll find there are a number of critique groups you can join. Some cost money, most cost time. What you're looking for is what's called a beta reader--someone who will critique your writing but before you send it out to an editor or an agent. A good beta reader is pure gold and is hard to find. Patience and persistence.

Fyle

Inkling
Yup, what Skip said.

What I do is, exchange, I read yours, you read mine.

PM me if you are interested, Im always up for an exchange. I have a few in the works now... the feed back i have gotten has helped tremendously. Especially in catching logical inconsistancy and redundancy.

Good luck, peace!

d=(^o^)=b