• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good Name for Mountain Tribesmen

Centerfield97

Troubadour
Can't think of a name for a collective group of mountain tribes who worship a dragon. (Similar to Forsworn from Skyrim, if you've played that). Any ideas? I don't want to go through the novel calling them "mountain men" or "tribesmen."

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I have a similar sort of dilemma. I was going to go with mountain men or mountain-born, maybe even sky-born or snow-born. Not quite sure though. They're a Norse type of people.

I bet there's a site out there of Norse clan names or something of the like.

Xanados

Maester
I recommend taking two spoonfuls of creativity every night.

Sorry, that's a bit harsh. I just don't agree with people asking for names. It's not hard when you understand the specific naming conventions and rules.

Mountain-men, you say? Names for such men should obviously be harsh and stone-like compared to soft and velvety. Do you understand?

Look up Norse names, soak in their culture. Just off the top of my head right now: Njorvar, Ostagand, Asator

Just think of harsh sounding names.

Queshire

Istar
I don't agree with the idea of harsh sounding names, especially if they're just chosen BECAUSE they sound harsh and don't mean anything. What we consider harsh is purely a result of our culture and our language, in their language it might be the softest sound possible.

What some group decides to call themselves is based off what they value the most, their land, their god, etc. Since they worship a dragon, maybe something like "Blood of the Dragon" of course you'd probably want to translate that into whatever their language is, so you can just pop that in a translator and get something Faux-norse or just come up with any combination of vowels and sounds and say that it translates to that.

Well, those are my two cents!