• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Grammar.

TGNewman

Scribe
I'm currently in the process of editing the fourth edition of my novel. I've become quite good and spying out poor word choice, but my grammar is holding me back.

i'm unsure of conversation structure, where to break up sentences, and the like.

Is their a thread anyone can point me to with some help, or a website?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
TGNewman

Here's a start: I googled "how to write novel dialogue" and this was the first hit. There's a million sites out there that probably have similar advice.

In general, one good way is to read published works (by good authors) and look at what they do. See how they do it, and start by mimicking that. And practice a lot, and get feedback from anyone you can.

EDIT: Fixed missing quotation mark.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
Here's a start: I googled "how to write novel dialogue and this was the first hit. There's a million sites out there that probably have similar advice.

In general, one good way is to read published works (by good authors) and look at what they do. See how they do it, and start by mimicking that. And practice a lot, and get feedback from anyone you can.

There is obviously a wealth of information out there on the internet. You just have to look.
Space and Punctuate Dialogue Correctly: Creative Writing Success Tips

And my personal favourite: HyperGrammar

Also, on the topic of grammar, your use of "their" is incorrect. You want "there" in this case. :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
If you like books and highlighting... I suggest "The Big Blue Book of Grammar"

I knew most of what was in it, but it was a great resource to remind me of the more obscure rules and it was inexpensive, I think $12 on amazon. you can get it for kindle too I think.

TGNewman

Scribe
If you like books and highlighting... I suggest "The Big Blue Book of Grammar"

I knew most of what was in it, but it was a great resource to remind me of the more obscure rules and it was inexpensive, I think $12 on amazon. you can get it for kindle too I think.

Hmm interesting.

SeverinR

Vala
I like the resource section of Research, I think these links would be good to include in resource of "writing questions."

There are times I'd like to check on stuff, but can't find it by a search engine, knowing to look in resources would be nice.

I doubt anyone could not use a refresher on some aspect of writing, or just get a different perspective on writing properly or better.