• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

S.G Smith

Hails to all those scribes of the of the mind, reflecting the realms seen, and unseen. I am a fairly recently self published writer, presenting a quite groundbreaking concept, that along with those somewhat more expected influences, Tolkien, Lewis etc, I am also heavily influenced by much older fantasy films, and pop culture.

The most unusual element of which, is that of several fantasy oriented, introspective, and reflective heavy rock music lyrics. I included these, from many underground level bands, to enhance my chapters, and reflect the classic spirit of times past, of the last several decades of fantasy/science fiction culture.

I actually just stumbled upon this group in my news feed, but decided to explore the halls of it, in the hope of finding some like minds, and perhaps some different perspectives, opinions, and ideas, on my work....

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met S.G Smith
Good to have you here.
There is a lot of music that can infuse fantasy. Almost as much and as wide as you want.
I can remember a hazy evening listening to obscure albums and [ahem] relaxing as some read aloud The Adventures of Tom Bombadil...
Leap on in and enjoy.

S.G Smith

Thank you, sir, for the welcome, sounds like an interesting place. The subject of music in my writing, goes a bit deeper, than it probably does for some. It was actually a song by Black Sabbath, "Devil and Daughter" that gave me the idea of having a father, Xindor and his daughter, Xinessa, as the main villains in the story.

I had this crazy idea, several years ago, to include heavy rock lyrics in the book, and never thought it would happen, but years later I made many friendships/connections in the heavy music scene, as I am genuinely a fan of the bands, and I tend to "see" the lyrics in the songs, when I listen to them, and will then interpret/adapt them into the tale. For me, the music is very mentally visual, as well as audio oriented.

In fact, I had to tell my brain to stop, with the ideas and concepts from the lyrics, as I knew the page amount was getting out of hand. But, to make it clear, the lyrics included are intended to enhance the story. It can, I feel, stand as its own fantasy/sci fi tale, outside of them ;

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Music strikes us deep.
Long ago I wrote a short cyberpunk crime story, where the MC had a credit card sized player [with thousands of songs], but it had got stuck on a weird shuffle and she could only listen to three songs [Welcome to the Jungle by Guns'nRoses, Alice by The Sisters of Mercy and Bela Lugosi's dead by Bauhaus, I was a cheery kid] that kept cropping up time and again through her day.
Often I use classical music to evoke emotion when I write. Listening to Holst's Mars or bits of Wagner are great for righting battle and conflict.