• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings :)

Vallir

Well it's now 5am and I've been reading various threads here for hours, so thought I might as well say hello. Sleep's over-rated anyway.

Actually, I take that last bit back. Must be sleep deprivation talking.

Aaaaaanyway, great site you got here! Friendly people and lots of useful information. I thought I knew a fair bit about swords and armour until i stumbled in from the cold :p

So then, I'll ramble about myself for a bit (sorry in advance). I'm a wannabe writer afflicted with an unswerving obsession for fantasy literature of any shape or description, although I prefer it to taste rather strongly of sarcasm and violence. I love fantasy because of the scope it offers, because there exists within every story the potential for anything and everything to happen...it's not my fault that what I like is for two people to call each other names and then start a war. I also love thinking about how characters' incremental decisions can eventually affect the entire world.

I've been writing silly stories since I was old enough to hold a pen and tell tales of teachers turning into witches (not so popular in school), but had a crisis of confidence and fell out of love with it in my twenties. These days I write because I love it, even if I never seem to get anything finished. Sometimes I tell people I'm writing when I actually spend 8 hours rearranging the words in a sentence, over and over, until I forget what I was even trying to say. I'm an un-educated, self-taught buffoon, and I'm about 300 pages in with what I jokingly refer to as a 'novel'; I might post something in the showcase forum but public places scare me, even on the net. Oh, and I'd need to take some swearing out.

The first fantasy book I ever read was Silverberg's Kingdoms of the Wall, which I read three times in a row and then went out to plunder the local...whatever the book store was called before Waterstones. I cried the first time I read Hobb's Fool books, and ruptured my spleen laughing when I found Abercrombie and Lynch (they sound like solicitors when I put it like that :/). And Douglas Hullick's debut, although that doesn't sound very solicitor-y. I've just read the Alloy of Law and want to steal Sanderson's brain, and am planning to wade through the entire Malazan series next. I may soon need another bed to cram books under.

Tum te tum, random stuff: I can barely read my own handwriting, I play a mean game of Total War, I'm an aspie (obsession:fantasy worlds, I assume), I'm in love with the Mentalist's Patrick Jane and my favourite Indian dish is lamb biryani. Also I'm a vegetarian, but forget sometimes.

Think I should go to bed. Be safe :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
HA I scrolled over your name and it said you joined the forum on 4/5/2012, and I was like, "It's not the fifth yet." Then I saw you were seven time zones ahead of me. :) Thanks, that answers one of my questions about this forum. Anyways, welcome. This is a great group of people, and everyone is pretty friendly. Hope you find what you need here.

If you like Biryani you should really try some Aloo Ghobhi, My sig would argue that point but I'm veggie too. ;)

Anywho, Welcome to the space :)

Enjoy it here
~BL~

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Welcome to the space! Sounds like you should fit right in here, but if you don't it's ok. We'll play with anybody!

I hope you'll let us know if we can help the next time you're stuck reading one sentence for eight hours. Post the sentence and we'll come up with every possible variation on it for you! :p

Ivan

Minstrel
mmm biryani :)

I've kind of the same writing style. I have trouble writing average sentences- I guess I'm more cut out for poetry. Maybe we can console each other with perfectly-crafted individual sentences!

Vallir

Even more belated thanks for the kind welcomes, dietary suggestions and support for Sentence Rearranging Syndrome :) I did indeed try some Aloo Ghobhi and covered it in spicy red sauce, mmmmmmmmm!