• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Having trouble with a religion

Epaminondas

Scribe
Hey guys, im hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.

Ive been working on a religion that is generally devoted to a trio of deities. The three siblings are, according to the mythology, the children of the universes creator. The creator was, again according to the myth, killed by a four child that was cast out by the others and now represents a darker force.
The trio of deities generally represent a masculine, a feminine, and a naturalistic symbolism

Thats pretty basic but i hope it makes sense.

My problem is really that i cant find an adequate way to name this religion. As ive been using working names "siblings" or the "trinity" but i hate the former and the latter has way too many Christian overtones.
Norally i wouldnt stress it much but my MCs are a part of a knightly order dedicated to the faith.

Any advice would be appreciated.
PS: on phone sorry for typos...

Epaminondas

Scribe
Triumvirate is what i keep coming up with as well but antagonist side is very Roman/Byzantine in design so im trying to stay away from latin with this group.

Thank you though, maybe o should look for similar terms but with a French/Germanic root.

WooHooMan

Auror
Trimurti? It's a Sanskrit word meaning "three forms" and usually refers to the Hindu trinity of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma.
There's also triad and troika which both mean the same as trio. Maybe "triune".

Trick

Auror
Trinity wouldn't really work anyway because they are three separate gods, unless I'm misunderstanding. You could go many ways with this. You could call them Godlings or give them each a fitting title like god of the earth, goddess of the seas, the caretaker (or whatever else might work for the neutral one). As others have said, you could also call them the Triumvirate which implies three rulers with equal power. They would each be called a triumvir. Though, technically, the 'vir' means man. So maybe triumspirate & triumspir (which I made up but based on actual words).

I think the individual titles might work best but that's just an opinion. With titles, to refer to all you could just say The Three as previously said.

It also seems likely that being a fourth child in your world would be a bad omen, just a thought.

Last edited:

WooHooMan

Auror
I feel like "The Three" sounds super bland. And calling them "children" devalues their positions as deities/subjects of worship.
How about "The Three-In-One"? "One" is often used in theology to symbolize spiritual completeness, perfection and wholeness so the name signifies that the three of them make-up the whole of the godhead/religion/whatever.

Trick

Auror
I feel like "The Three" sounds super bland. And calling them "children" devalues their positions as deities/subjects of worship.
How about "The Three-In-One"? "One" is often used in theology to symbolize spiritual completeness, perfection and wholeness so the name signifies that the three of them make-up the whole of the godhead/religion/whatever.

The Three-In-One seems too close to Trinity without being as concise.

To the OP: Are these three deities aspects of one being or are they separate in the way of Zeus and his friends?

'Three in one' sounds like advertising for a wonder product. ;) But I take your point 'the three' could be a bit bland perhaps on its own. If they were all one sex you could use 'The three sisters' or just 'the brothers'. Or Triplets?

Incanus

Auror
Another idea might be to simply come up with a completely original name/title, much in the same way an exotic character name is dreamed up. It sounds like it will be something that is referred to a lot in the story, so it has to be something you're happy with, something 'just right'. Of course it can't just be any old invented word; it should have a kind of 'religious' or 'mythic' feel to it. If you have anything like a con-lang going on, you could maybe base the brand new word on words that mean 'three' or 'tri-' in the new language.