• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello! Just joined!

megan_is_writing

Hello everyone. I'm Megan Stuart. I'm in my mid-thirties, and I think I've been writing stories since I learned how to put words to paper, and distinctly remember read-alouds as a child in class and just thinking, "I wanna do that with words too!" I still have some of the blank notebooks with pretty and glittery covers that I would buy as a kid and try to fill with words, imagining the words of a novel I had written between their pages instead. I was drawn to fantasy for its magic and romance, and the breadth of creativity it offered as well as the escape, and it was primarily the only stories I ever wanted to write, and they're the ones I get the most enjoyment out of.

I've been working at trying to get published since forever, and I've written three novel manuscripts--all of which have been trunked--but now I've finally found my IT project that I'm currently working on, in more adult fantasy rather than what I was trying to go for at first with YA. As I've been trying to take advantage of more and more writer resources, getting beta reader feedback on my last book, also beta reading for other authors, joining groups on social media, etc. it occurred to me that I should probably be a part of a writing forum too. I was in a writer's group back when I was in high school, and for a time I went to critique groups at B&N when I was part of the SCBWI Northeast Ohio chapter, and I miss that invaluable asset to my writing. I'm looking forward to learning new things, connecting with other writers over an awesome genre, and being able to take my work to even greater places beyond just trying to find the next beta reader without getting any critique feedback from multiple writers as well as readers first.

I'm about halfway through my third rewrite of my epic fantasy novel, first in a planned series. The zero draft was a rough as rough can be, and I threw at least 95% if not more of it out on the first rewrite. Halfway through that though, I backtracked and started in on the second rewrite, aware that what I was writing now was way better than the first, but I could already foresee problems that I'd have down the road that would get bigger and bigger if I kept going with them, and the only to fix them was to go back and course-correct the beginning. Finally it's shaping up into something I'm growing genuinely proud of, but I know this'll be the draft where I'm positive I won't really be able to make much further improvement without outside feedback, no matter how many more episodes of the Writing Excuses podcast I listen to.

So here I am, and I can't wait to make even more connections in the fantasy writing community!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Welcome aboard! What you are experiencing is why I now recommend the write 10k words or a few chapters over and over until you find your voice, so you don't need to rewrite the entire enchilada. Feel free to throw some sample chapters up for a critique, I enjoy nothing more than tearing up... I mean, constructively criticizing other people's work as a break from doing the same to my own.