• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello there!

Bear

Minstrel
My name is Jamie Horwath. I am an independent author. I joined this forum to talk about writing a bit and share some of my work with you. I write hybrid sci-fi and fantasy. Most of the time I go cross genre so you could really say my writing is a mix between horror/sci-fi/fantasy. I've written one short story and two novellas. I have a bunch of other short stories in the mix but might put them aside for a novel. Hopefully, I can contribute something to the forums.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Bear, we all Welcome you into our great community for Fantasy writers!! It is my wish that very soon you will feel like home between us, contribute to the many threads, share your ideas and stories and make new friends around =)

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Hey, Jamie, welcome to Scribes! It's interesting to see that you write Science-Fantasy - an actual blend of the two genres rather than someone just labeling Fantasy as SciFi. What sorts of things do you employ in your worlds for that genre? Do you brush the subject of magitech? It'll be nice to see you around the forum, though. Hope to talk to you soon!

Bear

Minstrel
Hey, Jamie, welcome to Scribes! It's interesting to see that you write Science-Fantasy - an actual blend of the two genres rather than someone just labeling Fantasy as SciFi. What sorts of things do you employ in your worlds for that genre? Do you brush the subject of magitech? It'll be nice to see you around the forum, though. Hope to talk to you soon!

In my third book the the technology used is an abstract use of turbine powered vehicles that can fly, go through water or liquid and have lots of things that aren't really plausable. I guess you could call it steam punk. The setting is a post apocalyptic wasteland and there's a bit of magic involved but I don't really call it magic. One of the plot devices are (magic)dice. There is also a magic radio that harnesses a light energy. While the overall world is a derivative of ours everything is kind of on a ludricous scale so it's not really sci-fi. I added original creatures for a slight horror feel.

I also mess around with the idea of an abyss of sorts. I guess you could call it hell but it's more than that. The abyss is kind of where memories go to die and it's very dark in the abyss. I never really give it a physical location as it's more of a dimension or state of mind.

You could also say there is some light mysticism in this work as well. There is also a strange romantic bit thrown in with a love triangle of sorts between a man and two women.

Alot of my work has entities, that's what I'll call them for a lack of a better word, that kind of lurk in different dimensions but come onto earth through the darker parts of life. The out of the corner of your eye approach. Actually, you could kind of say my work comes from 'left field' so to speak.

The overall setting is really weird. Humanity had to burrow underground and resided very far below the earths surface. They live in underground cities scattered throughout the earth's underground and a layer of liquid they call the tank seperates them from parts of the crust and things. Many malicious creatures swim in the tank. There is one called a rig. It's a huge creature that the elders of the old world named after a rig or tractor trailer due to the size. The world is dystopian where common things like magazines and other forms of print media is forbidden. The elders control what people read and how they live. It's very opressive. They believe that reading old world material will cause an unrest and lead to ideas which forced humanity to burrow underground to escape the creatures will come back and destory the underground.

The premise that lead the the apocalypse is very strange as well. The creatures used beta waves and alpha waves to hide themselves from humans. So in this world you think your sitting on a chair but it's actually a creature in disquise to eat you. Once the creatures infiltrated they took over and just slaughtering everyone so humans burrowed into the earth to escape. The surface belongs to them and humans stay underground and figure out ways to fight against the entities.

Sorry, I rambled but when you mix genre's things get pretty weird.

Last edited: