• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello

Hello all. My name is Jo. I'm a twenty-one year old from down south. I grew up on military bases and in small towns throughout the southeastern united states during my entire childhood. This was my parents' reason for homeschooling me and my siblings for a good chunk of our school years. My interest are random at best. I am probably the biggest football fan that ever lived, yet I enjoy playing the guitar. When I was little, I loved nothing more than a really good book. Although I did lose interest in this for a long time during my teens, mostly due to the fact that I have no interest in any book that could be classified in the same genre as Twilight. Recently I have happily found my love for books again with the help of such great epics like The Lord of the Rings.

My imagination has always been one of my very best friends. I love coming up with exciting places, characters, and conflicts. However, I have always been cursed with a horrible time at putting my thoughts into written words. I don't know what it is. I can sit and tell a complete story from start to end without any problem. New ideas bounce around my brain like crazy, but as soon as I pick up pencil and paper everything goes blank. Recently I came up with what I think is a great idea for a story involving some of my favorite characters from past stories and am determined to write it down and give the very best effort I can. I came across this site a few months ago while desperately searching google for an answer to my questions, but because I am such a nervous, anxious mess when I try to have a conversation with anybody, even if it is only on the Internet, that it took me a good long while to build up the courage to join and start posting.

Welcome to the Scribes, Jo of the South. Hey I was home-schooled too for the majority of my life, you can sit at my table if you want;). So you have a problem with actually starting writing eh? No matter, feel free to start a thread on it and you'll get no end of advice. Enjoy yourself here.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Hi Jo! Welcome to Mythic Scribes. Like Aidan said, if you're having a particular problem, then chime in and we'll all try to help anyway we can.

Chilari

Staff
Welcome, Jo. We'll be happy to help with anything you're struggling with. And there's nothing wrong with asking questions when you need help or don't know something. Better to ask and learn than be to nervous or embarrassed to ask for help and struggle along alone.

I find, if I'm struggling with actually writing the story, that just writing down what I want to say helps - a description of the scene I want to write, the motivations of the characters, that sort of thing. It makes it easier. So that might be worth trying.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing your posts int he rest of the forums.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome. The people here are pretty awesome and always willing to help. Hope you find what you're looking for here.

Thanks y'all. I have posted a few threads already and got such great help. My story has improved more in the last few weeks with the advice I've been given than it has in probably months.

Aidan, that's cool. I rarely meet anybody else who has been homeschooled. :)

Chilari, I hadn't thought of doing that before, but man I could have saved myself from a ton of frustration and a lot of wasted time when I attempted to write my first draft.

Last edited:

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Hello Jo!

Welcome to the Scribes.

I wasn't raised military, but I live in Leavenworth so I know lots of folks that were. It can be a hard life, and I respect families that make that choice to keep the rest of us safe and free. So tell your family, "Thanks," from me.

Also, don't be nervous about talking to the group. We really are a fun and friendly bunch. I hope you're enjoying your time here.

Let us know how we can help!