• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help Creating a Base of Operations for Dragon Slayers

ShadeZ

Maester
I need help coming up with ideas for a good base for Dragon Slayers.

Ideas I like:
- Only dragon slayers and their families know where it is/how to get to it.
- It should hide in plain sight.
- It should be able to contain at least 1000 people easily.
- It could have a magical ward that prevents most people from getting in/knowing it exits.

Why do the Slayers need to stay out of sight? After that, very specific and not sure what I got in the real estate department to help you.

Either you have the Super Secret Slayer Order hidden amongst a regular city under some other front as well as the spells of redirection. Or you get a mountain style fortress to go hide in surrounded by a peaceful village full of highly competent martial artists. There's probably other options but my mind is currently a pink goo of sorts. Though I am mostly wondering why they need to be hidden when they can kill dragons. That's generally the sort of thing that ends up in trophy rooms and being useful armor.

ShadeZ

Maester
It very well could be out in the open and not hidden, nothing would go near them. But the families of Dragon Slayers aren't as tough and nigh-invincible. Even though there are guards there would be an extra layer of security that way. They are also fairly secretive in their ways and nature. Also, plenty of things that hate them so constantly having to repel enemy attacks isn't optimal, though I suppose if I had them pull off the whole "allegedly invincible army of dragon hunter" vibe that may competently deter foes. It could easily be hidden or out in the open I'm just equally pink goo brain-y for ideas so hence the post.

Also, the base's name is Viigarie (V-gar-ee).

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
To me it kind of depends on what their story is. If they're commissioned by big king then you'd expect a large fortified outpost - or even a series of them. If there's one guy, who got so famous killing dragons that he settled down somewhere and started a whole guild of it, then he might have an old dragon's lair remodeled as a base. Think about the story you're telling and you might find the better answers.

Has the Order ever considered doing a standard sort of initiation where they get new names or identities and sever ties from families? Or having a way of getting in and out in some way without being obvious? Or they are sworn into the Dragon Slayers Club and don't take to family life until after a term of service and are basically on call as reserves? Or as they are a military order of sorts, keep their fortress/castle in one area with the servants and red light district and other things and their families elsewhere and a lot less obvious targets.

Or, make them nomads of sorts. With several hard points for resupply and rearming and always moving to the next big dragon threat. While their families hang out in the nearest hidden elf village, dwarven fastness or orc hold.

ShadeZ

Maester
Their trade is outcasted by the king of humans. The order is over 10,000 years old but only started revealing themselves and grouping together over the last 4000 or so years. They have enough financially to easily make one or several well equip bases. That said very few of them exist, there are about 75-125 of them total and at least half of them are "retired". So maybe the base shouldn't be able to house 1000 people, maybe more like 400-750.

Queshire

Istar
I like the seemingly normal village idea. Maybe have a feudal lord that's secretly friendly to the dragon slayers provide the land and help support them.

S J Lee

Inkling
Maybe it is DRAGONS they are scared of? Why not have underground NARROW tunnels connecting rooms of a lair, make it hard for a big dragon... of course, the dwarves never thought of this vs the dragons in Tolkien's books!!!!

Azaraiha

Scribe
What about a simple inn on the outskirts of a medium sized village. The Slayers approach the front desk and say a specific phrase that tells the innkeeper they are a Slayer and want to enter the base. The innkeep then leads the Slayer to a secret passage that leads to a heavily fortified underground Fortress. That way you could hide the base in plain sight.

ShadeZ

Maester
What about a simple inn on the outskirts of a medium sized village. The Slayers approach the front desk and say a specific phrase that tells the innkeeper they are a Slayer and want to enter the base. The innkeep then leads the Slayer to a secret passage that leads to a heavily fortified underground Fortress. That way you could hide the base in plain sight.
Did something simalar. One if the slayers is over 2000 years old and every 100 years he remakes his inn and tavern: The Black Aces.