• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hemingway App

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Probably the master of lean writing, this app is similar to some other editing tools, and can be a fun way to check out how often you're using certain things (adverbs, passive voice, etc.) It also tells you how difficult some of your sentences are and what Grade Level it is. It looks like my current novel is mostly at a 5th Grade level according to the app. I think that's a good sign. I don't want to be too verbose! :)

Hemingway

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I read a comment by someone that said it wasn't intended for fiction. Not sure if that is true. I could see using it for business writing or journalism, but I personally wouldn't use it for fiction. And anyone who has any trouble at all following the sentence highlighted in red has no business writing anything :p

As you said, though, it does give some knowledge or awareness of writing style, and that's a good thing in general. I just cringe at the idea that someone writing fiction might let a computer algorithm make decisions for them!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I don't see it as a way to change everything I write to fit the algorithm. I'm just interested in little things like this. Actually, once I looked at some of the results, I was able to think of ways to break up longer sentences or change some things, so it might be useful in some regards. I wouldn't count on me sniping all my adverbs out though. It's just too hard to do sometimes.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, I don't see it as a way to change everything I write to fit the algorithm. I'm just interested in little things like this. Actually, once I looked at some of the results, I was able to think of ways to break up longer sentences or change some things, so it might be useful in some regards. I wouldn't count on me sniping all my adverbs out though. It's just too hard to do sometimes.

I hear you. Awareness of one's own writing can't be a bad thing, and apps like this can help with that.