• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey, are you gonna eat that?

Lamar

Dreamer
Hello, everyone.

My name is Lamar. I live in Columbia, Missouri, USA, where I work for the University of Missouri-Columbia. After a number of years of various and sundry difficulties, I have decided to finally get serious about my writing again, and I thought finding a good writers forum would be good to try.

I have written three novels -- yes, that last one is, too! If you sort of squint.... -- plus a role-playing game, which was published as Imago by Multisim in France. I self-published a collection of short fiction a few years ago called Ten Minutes 'til the Savages Come, which I recently re-released as an e-book. I have also fiddled around a bit with screenplays, actually finishing one a few years ago.

I recently started up on another novel, and I'm returning to the fantasy well for this one (my first novel was fantasy; the others were mystery and horror, respectively), which is why Mythic Scribes seemed like an appealing place to hang.

Even though I have a degree in English and came just this close to finishing a degree in Journalism, my reading and writing is pretty much limited to pulp; there's nothing that will kill one's interest in something so fast as getting a degree in it, so I don't have much interest in literary fiction anymore. I am really interested in improving and developing my skills as a writer, though, and I enjoy talking about the craft of writing as much as anything.

That's about it, I suppose. My wife, Stephanie, and I live with her son, Josh, and our escape-prone cat, Cooper. I used to own part of a comic-book/game store in beautiful, downtown Columbia. At my age, I really should have more interesting stories to share. But, anyway, I'm glad to be here and I hope to make some new online friends.

Welcome, and I'm sure you have plenty of interesting stories to share! And finishing three novels is quite an accomplishment. I'm having trouble just starting my first! The forums are great and I'm sure you'll love it here. Oh and as soon as you have posted 5 times and are ready, throw something up from the new novel (or the old) in the showcase forum. It's a pretty cool place.

Ghost

Inkling
Hey, Lamar. Welcome! I think you sound interesting, so don't worry about what you've shared.

And about escape-prone cats: my cat, Mr. Kitty, is plotting his escape as I type. I hope he thinks better of it because I doubt he could take on a coyote.

Hey, Lamar. Welcome! I think you sound interesting, so don't worry about what you've shared.

And about escape-prone cats: my cat, Mr. Kitty, is plotting his escape as I type. I hope he thinks better of it because I doubt he could take on a coyote.

LOL, I had a cat once who would shimmy up the door jamb and hang upside down waiting for someone to walk through so she could drop down on them....
Cats are wonderful pets, they are an endless source of amusement. ;)

Solomon Tan

Minstrel
That's so cool, Lamar..

Indeed, finishing 3 novels is a feat. I'm struggling to even start! haha. but I'll get there someday..

You mentioned that you also designed a Role playing game? what's that all about? interested to know..

lawrence

Troubadour
Welcome to Mythic Scribes Lamar ! You certainly have a fair bit under your belt and I am sure we will benefit from your input here. Hope you are blessed from ours too.

Lamar

Dreamer
You mentioned that you also designed a Role playing game? what's that all about? interested to know..

My RPG was called Phantasm originally; the French publisher changed the name to Imago because Phantasm apparently has certainly overtones in French.

If you're familiar with Mage: The Ascension, that's basically what Phantasm was -- magic in the modern world. I really liked Mage when it came out, but there were a number of things that bugged me, and I was interested in designing a game, so I figured why not. I published the game online way back in the early days of the Web, and it had an extremely modest international following for a while.