• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hey everyone

laeli

Hello! I'm always looking for more writerly people to talk to so I'm looking forward to spending some time here.

I started writing when I was 16 and then I spent about 6 years writing purely for entertainment with no thought of letting anyone else read my work. Now I've decided that perhaps I would like to publish some of my writing and I'm having trouble shifting my expectations and getting comfortable with letting other people read what I write.

Fantasy is almost the only thing I write, though I have fun mixing other genres in. One of my favorite things I've written is a hardboiled detective story set in the afterlife that was inspired by my love of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler novels. I love writing mystery in general but there usually has to be some kind of fantasy element involved. I just started a new worldbuilding project and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I wish I had a name for the world but I can't decide which culture should get to give it the name that I refer to it by.

I tend to write a lot of LGBT characters because I wish I had known more of them growing up, but that's rarely the main focus of the story or the characters. I like writing disabled characters for similar reasons.

As for non-writing stuff, I'm a biology student living in New York state. I love animals and want to work with them someday. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I also love classic literature plus anything that could be considered strange. I'm also something of a movie buff with a love of black and white movies and anything animated.

That's probably more than enough for now. Hopefully I'll talk to you all elsewhere on the forums later.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met laeli
Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler... I like you already...
I'm trying to get traction on a Chandler-Hammett-Cthulhu-Noire idea at the moment... it's slow going but anyway...
This is a good place to share what you know and learn what you need.
Leap on in when you feel the urge...

SeverinR

Vala
welcome,
I like to include real medical problems in my characters, most frequently is PTSD. I try to read as much as I can on it.

I love animals also and try to include animals in my stories if I can.

Definately, write what interests you.If you make it interesting to others, then it will be a hit.

Hiya Laeli!
I'm a *newbie* too... Thinking of 'hard-boiled' mysteries in a fantasy genre, may I suggest 'The Dresden Files' which is about a mortal detective among some VERY strange creatures in the Raymond Chandler-style. Also the 'Drood' series by Simon R. Green - mysteries with wierdies and such... Also Mark del Franco has a series about a Druid that lost most of his powers. Now, most of those authors have characters that are str8 although one of these mentioned authors does have a partner... Shall come back and post other neat authors as I can...
Carrie