• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

hints on how build worlds?

ok i am new to writing stories respectively and i am dyslexic(i have no problem reading it is putting my thoughts from head down) now i have several ideas/projects each unique in their way. i know how to create characters as i have done the past write on the fly short stories. now trying to come up with proper world building skills. cities, groups, politics rules etc trying to get into habit of semi planning. it take me more time than average person to write. one of my ideas is kind of complex but creating the rules for the world gives me headache i try to do come up with ways to sort out the ideas in my head . i could be wrong it could be simple. the idea has two main protagonist while one becomes the mentor figure of the the second one eventually, the second protagonist(a child of the slums). 1 i am trying to figure out the main city breakdown 2. the class sub systems within upper class and the lower class. as it very dark fantasy world that has inquisitor system for judge types with their own guards.my mind is every where trying to sort things

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
the idea has two main protagonist while one becomes the mentor figure of the the second one eventually, the second protagonist(a child of the slums). 1 i am trying to figure out the main city breakdown 2. the class sub systems within upper class and the lower class. as it very dark fantasy world that has inquisitor system for judge types with their own guards.

First of all do some research looking for inspiration. My first thought was that you should read more about the Caste system in India and maybe see the movie, Slumdog Millionaire. You're going to need the same kind of detail and hardship while looking for a place you can add your own level of creativity.

Second, what do you mean by Inquisitor System for judges, and more importantly, how does it relate to your characters and the story you want to tell?

One thing I constantly do with World Building is to ask, "What are the problems and what would it take?" I was trying to combine the idea that a character became cursed looking in some ruins with the idea that the whole story should take place on a small piece of land. Well, if the ruins are so close why isn't anyone else cursed? Well, they are, the animals get affected by the curse all of the time, and it suddenly became a major facet of their society. The whole country became dangerous, so I had to find ways to limit and restrain that danger so that the peaceful and wonderful society I had in mind could flourish and the character's plight could still be unique. The danger became the reason, for instance, that the soldiers had to be trained and competent in a way that's so efficient it's almost modern. I had to figure out why they would ever settle on such a dangerous spot, and I concluded desperation - they were refugees, fleeing their homeland in a war, and had nowhere else to go. Suddenly the bad guys have a new level of history and tension, as they're from the same country which conquered their homeland. And the country has a new level of depth - elements which they brought with them, elements which were already there. But why would the antagonists suddenly be interested in this dangerous country when the people are trying to live defensively but peaceably? And how can such a tiny country intend to defend themselves? How does that all work? Because.....and so on and so forth.

And eventually I understand who they are - who, in fact, I feel like they have to be for the ideas to work together.

Last edited:
well the world i have in mind sort of medivel era based read lot those stories. well there is a monarchy ruler i have in mind but this going to be a very dark fantasy. well the slums is loose term i guess i think accurately low life. i think back of my mind there is some trouble with drugs in the city and lot of corruption within the realm the main antagonist is not evil per say but he is human and the protagonist's are 1. prorogation 1 is the the3 supreme inquisitor higher than the grand one i am still working out the hyarchy of of political cast and systems. i think the low life sector is split into quarters not sure. everything is in my head that the problem the second protagonist is a patriot in his own way even he skills that not benefiting typical nice hero type. i think there will be some corrupt individuals also in the inquisition so to solve the corruption is they key of story 1 i think the cruelty of the protagonist is necessary i think the kingdom is strapped for money and that key to everything i really need to do notes on the city itself think medevil version mega-city one from judge dredd comic the lslum where poor live so cramped to gether while richwer have wide spread lands damn it this all in my head need tort it out sigh