• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How bad is the 'moustache twirling villain' trope like, honestly?

Gallio

Minstrel
Would King Richard (from the version of robin hood where it's animals) count? He's a pretty comical villain too.

To me a good villain needs three things.
-Swagger/Poise: This can be done a number of ways, but however they do it, they 'own' the room when they enter.
-Loyal mooks: Mooks who aren't confident in their leaders is often a sign of a weak villain in my eyes. Sure, the villain themselves might be incompetent, but they're minions remain loyal because they trust their skills/leadership.
-A good reason to be a villain: again, can be done a number of ways, but it has to be done well. I just roll my eyes when it's something super simple.
I think you mean King John. King Richard is the good king who returns home at the end.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I feel a certain sneaky cowardice needs to be an innate feature of the true mustache-twirler. That is one of the things that sets them apart from other villains. When it comes to cartoon/Disney characters, Scar from The Lion King pretty much epitomizes the type.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I feel a certain sneaky cowardice needs to be an innate feature of the true mustache-twirler. That is one of the things that sets them apart from other villains. When it comes to cartoon/Disney characters, Scar from The Lion King pretty much epitomizes the type.
And there is the importance of wordage. A reader or a protagonist might think the antagonist is a coward, but the antagonist prefers "survivor." You can't conquer the world if you die making a heroic stand against overwhelming odds.

Yep it’ll be King John. Bad King John. Naughty King.
Oop, It's been a hot minute since I last seen it but yeah that's who I meant. Actually surprised there's a few folks who had seen that version on here~
I don't think I would explicitly call it cowardice (unless they're the 'oh no, I'm losing, uhhhh minions, yes, MEAT SHIELDS, protect me!' type those villains are assholes to their minions.) because they're using their craftyness to survive an encounter with the hero for the next evil plan.