• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you guys get yourself out of a writing funk?

As the title says. I seem to have this issue with my writing where I'll get to a point in the story that I just cannot figure out how to continue. I'll revisit it several times but nothing ever comes so the project just stays unfinished.

So I was just curious if you guys ever have this issue and I'd love to see you're strategies for fighting writers block.

Mothyards

Scribe
If you figure it out let me know lol I've been having a similar issue where my next chapter is kinda transitional. I need it but its kinda boring and I keep putting it down and picking it back up and changing it and adding and removing and it makes me not want to work on it much @~@

Though sometimes I find music can help! I've always been the, "perfect song for my in brain amv about my book" kinda person lol, though there's also mood music to get you in the right headspace.
Maybe you can find ways to think about the story in other ideas and mediums. I like to draw and sometimes working on artwork or redesigns of characters and races gets my blood pumping to write about it.

As one of the local hobby writers, a funk probably means less for me then some.

My general answer is to step away, do something that entertains you and refreshes you. Be it gaming, youtube videos, movies, art or something else entirely (say, carpentry or boat building). Or do short stories, put your characters in situations they'd never find themselves in. After all, how does the valiant knight handle a cooking competition while Gordon Ramsey continues the horrible tradition of losing his temper in the kitchen?

Or, go for a walk in the local park, should you be near one. Or just outside in general. It'll come back to you. And yeah, definitely with Moth on the music too.

JBCrowson

Inkling
Two suggestions that have worked for me:
1) Write the chapter after the one you're stuck on, the problem child may then fall into line if flanked on both sides.
2) Go read a book or two. They don't have to be fantasy, or even fiction. Just reading a lot of someone else's sentences may allow your brain to figure out the right way to write what needs to be said.

Good luck!

dollyt8

Minstrel
Try skipping a chapter or two ahead and come back to the problem chapter later.

I would also say I usually find myself getting stuck on a chapter for two reasons:

1. It is boring
2. It has a plot hole, logical issue, or other problem I'm having trouble solving.

If you're having the first problem, my suggestion would be to see just how short you can make the scene. There may be unnecessary content that isn't contributing much to the overall story. If you're having the second problem, try outlining ahead of time to make sure you work out any major plot issues. You can also do a scene outline for the chapter. That can help if you're having trouble figuring out how to order your events or transition scenes well within the chapter.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
First, a little nitpick of mine. I prefer not to use the term writer's block. I prefer to say I'm stuck. To me, writer's block makes it sound like it's not under my control, which it totally is. I just have to figure it out.

Second, if you can't find the right path, start trying all the wrong paths. What I mean is just make a decision and write it out. It doesn't even have to be prose. Point form or scratch notes is fine. Just go what if this happened and then follow that line of thought. You'll eventually figure out, yes this is good, or no this isn't what I want.

If that one path isn't right, try another one. If you keep eliminating the wrong paths, eventually, you'll find the right one.

This gets you thinking about what you want and what you don't want from your story. Sooner or later, something will spark.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yes...may strategy is called 'write it ugly'.

Write to just get words on page and after you have them, then you can decide if you are keeping them or not.

Mad Swede

Auror
Just write. But write something else. Then go back to where you were stuck a bit later. The key for me is to always write when I sit down to write, not what I write. And yes, I always finish the story where I stopped temporarily.

Kalipso

Dreamer
Write literally anything. Even if it's stupid. Even if it doesn't make sense. Anything to help you generate ideas. You can always come back to this scene. If that doesn't sound like something you'd like to try, then try writing any other scene in the story. It can be one you're excited for or one you just have planned out. Something might come to you.

Alternatively, something that always helps me is taking a break to read. I become frustrated with myself for not being able to think of anything, but when I read, it replaces my frustration with passion. It makes me want to write my own book/story. And, of course, it helps me generate ideas.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
This doesn't sound like a writing funk, but a finishing funk. Merely starting another project isn't likely to help, as starting isn't the problem.

Have you taken a look at those unfinished projects? Do they tend to be the same length? Or stop at similar points? I can think of several possibilities but you're the one who must do the analysis. Then I bet some folks here could offer additional advice.

This doesn't sound like a writing funk, but a finishing funk. Merely starting another project isn't likely to help, as starting isn't the problem.

Have you taken a look at those unfinished projects? Do they tend to be the same length? Or stop at similar points? I can think of several possibilities but you're the one who must do the analysis. Then I bet some folks here could offer additional advice.
I guess it's kind of a "finishing funk"? I find I'll usually make it to a lul in things actually happening and it's difficult to bridge the action into the next section of actual story in a way that's satisfying. Kind of like I'll write out all the major story beats and string them together but those transitional areas where character's would be just traveling to the next spot or talking about stuff not integral to the story just hit me with a wall of inability to write. I just cannot think of anything to do in these parts and trying to do a sort of smash cut to the next spot feels clunky and kinda lazy.

Butt in chair, hands on keyboard.

It's the only way to get it written.

As for trying to figure out what to write; You could either try outlining. Just write out, in whatever level of detail you want, what actually happens in the story. It separates thinking of what comes next, with figuring out how to write that and finding the right words. They are 2 different skills, and are hard for a lot of people to do at the same time. By splitting them, you can give your whole attention to just one thing
(small note here, outlining could just as much be in your head as on paper, and can be a summary, or just keywords, or simply stuff you want to have happen, or anything else).

Another alternative is to simply not write the transition bits. Will Wight (who is a very succesful fantasy indie author) has described his books as "Epic Fantasy with all the boring bits taken out." And that is a good description. They basically take you p1 and drag you at breakneck speed through the story. It works with his style.

So if you don't want to have a bit of filler where characters go from point A to B so you can have some character interaction and team building and give exposition about that one battle 200 years ago that happened along the road they're taking and which shaped the world as we know it, then don't write that bit. There is no rule that you can't simply go "They rode for 2 weeks until they got to the capital." Just write the bits you want to write and don't force yourself to write the bits that you find boring.

Once you finish, you can always go back and see if you need something in between. Or if maybe you just write a great 60.000 word novel instead of an average 120.000 word one.

Butt in chair, hands on keyboard.

It's the only way to get it written.

As for trying to figure out what to write; You could either try outlining. Just write out, in whatever level of detail you want, what actually happens in the story. It separates thinking of what comes next, with figuring out how to write that and finding the right words. They are 2 different skills, and are hard for a lot of people to do at the same time. By splitting them, you can give your whole attention to just one thing
(small note here, outlining could just as much be in your head as on paper, and can be a summary, or just keywords, or simply stuff you want to have happen, or anything else).

Another alternative is to simply not write the transition bits. Will Wight (who is a very succesful fantasy indie author) has described his books as "Epic Fantasy with all the boring bits taken out." And that is a good description. They basically take you p1 and drag you at breakneck speed through the story. It works with his style.

So if you don't want to have a bit of filler where characters go from point A to B so you can have some character interaction and team building and give exposition about that one battle 200 years ago that happened along the road they're taking and which shaped the world as we know it, then don't write that bit. There is no rule that you can't simply go "They rode for 2 weeks until they got to the capital." Just write the bits you want to write and don't force yourself to write the bits that you find boring.

Once you finish, you can always go back and see if you need something in between. Or if maybe you just write a great 60.000 word novel instead of an average 120.000 word one.
Thanks, I'll probably try cutting out the slower bits just to see how it reads. I'd like to have slower, more conversational bits but I just can't find a graceful way to go from, "They talked into the night" to, "And then they were at the castle!".