• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How does the algorithm work?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm not sure what sort of algorithm you are picturing. This is forum software. I don't think there are any algorithms.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
Do you mean the stuff you see under "new posts" ? Something gets bumped to the top when there's a new post on the thread. So a really old thread that had a new reply will go up there.

Generally, "algorithm" implies that there's some complex math going on determining what posts have value and what doesn't. Forums usually don't have anything like that, instead it's just the latest thing that happens, so it's pretty neutral, like an RSS feed.

There is an algorithm stuck in the forum software. It supplies the Similar Threads you see listed at the bottom of the page. As far as I can tell, it simply looks for similar terms used in the thread. So just a basic word search. There's probably a bit of logic in there in what gets more importance (like title is more important than the first post which is more important than the later posts), but it seems fairly simple in its functioning. It might even factor in the date, though there's no way to tell from just looking at the posts...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't think the Similar Threads feature shows up on mobile devices.