• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How much Hard Drive space do you use on your Laptop?

What type of hard drive do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Did not realise there was a real discussion in this one. I work in it. I use both. Personally, i think all my actual machines have spindle drives. I dont really play games anymore so speed is not an issue. You can buy a much bigger drive for the same money with spindle types but that is becoming moot. Generally i fill up a 1tb drive so i would not consider smaller.

it is definitely true that spindle drives offer recovery that ssd does not. Its not widely known but ssd drives will die faster if they start to run out of space. Has to do with wearing out the read write ability of the remaining space so you dont want to have one of those and fill it up.

ive also used hybrid drives. No issues with those, but they do have probelms just like any other drive.

the world is moving deeper into ssd do this question wont matter soon. Ssd will be the only before long.

Vaporo

Inkling
the world is moving deeper into ssd do this question wont matter soon. Ssd will be the only before long.

Maybe some day, but maybe not as soon as you think. Hard drives are still king when it comes to mass storage since they're cheap and reliable. SSDs have been around for a while now and I haven't seen too much of a price drop, so they may have bottomed on manufacturing costs out for the moment. Pure speculation, but only time will tell.

Vaporo

Inkling
All right, fair enough. I've mostly looked at laptop SSDs, so maybe that's where the difference comes from.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
so i think the day is coming. I think it is called Moores law, technology doubles every two years and prices halve.
You're right, it's Moore's Law. It also states that tech will get smaller until we run into quantum physics problems that will cause short circuiting.

Tom

Istar
I upgraded from a laptop with an HDD to a much newer one with an SSD earlier this year and so far I'm amazed. My HDD had more storage space, but it was so slow and crash-prone it was basically unusable. The SDD laptop is blazingly fast. And I make up for any lost storage with a 1TB external drive, so the space tradeoff wasn't even an issue.