• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Much Is Too Much For One Book?

Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a trilogy - book 1 is already released, book 2 is in the works but fully outlined, and book 3 is fully outlined. As I'm writing book 2, I'm wondering if there's too much going on. At the end of book 1, my MC enacts changes to her kingdom that are necessary for its survival and growth, but that she knows her people won't like. She also learns her birth father's identity and forms the realm's first cross-cultural alliances. These are three major plot points for the other books in the trilogy, but mainly book 2. For context, all three books are/will be 50 chapters, split in 2 parts at 25 chapters each, and approximately 160k words (give or take).

These are the ideas I have outlined for book 2:
1. She has to face/respond to backlash from her people about the changes she made in book 1
2. She has to prioritize her allies' war because she promised to fight for them in book 1, which upsets her people because they think she should be focusing on her kingdom alone
3. She becomes a bit more familiar with her birth father's family (she meets her half brother but he doesn't know who she is; haven't decided if she'll meet her birth father here or in book 3)
4. She comes to possess a magical object that could give her the power to end her allies' war, despite them urging against it, and has to face the consequences of potentially using it (users are cursed)
5. Magic is pretty much extinct in her kingdom, but her adopted daughter (who nobody knows is adopted) shows signs of having magic, so she has to choose between getting rid of her daughter's power to protect her identity or letting her keep her powers.

Is this too much going on in one book? As of now, these plot points are all mostly woven together throughout the story. #1, #2, and #4 all tie together to form the major conflict/plot. #3 and #5 are more minor but will be important in book 3 - #5 specifically is important for the larger series I'm working on. I just don't want to overwhelm readers with too many subplots, but I feel they're all crucial in one way or another. I hope this makes sense hahaha.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Well... how long is the book? If it's 1500 pages, you can fit quite a lot into it. :p

If you have the story planned to unfold in a certain way, IMHO, just write it out and then decide what you're going to do with it. At worst, you can do some edits and split the book into two. Or, if you want to edit it down, you can do that, too. But, it's always easier to make decisions when you have something solid in front of you to work from. I always find it's easier to chop stuff away than to weave new stuff in.

Also, sometimes what seems like a lot isn't at all, and what seems simple and small, unfurls into something monstrously big. I outlined my current book as a 50k short romp. As I'm about to put my final polish on it, the word count sits just shy of 200k.

With any fantasy series, as a reader, you would ideally want to read to the end of the book and feel as though the book has an ending, but that there are unresolved plot points to resolve in the next book. In a longer series you’d also expect to read lots of foreshadowing of bigger things to come. And hooks are going to keep the reader reading to the end. That’s what is so great about series.

I don’t think it particularly matters on content or length, but how you as a writer balance everything. What is the more prominent storyline versus something that can brew in the background or be less prominent? Otherwise the plot may become a bit too busy, trying to do too many things all at once. Prioritise where the readers are going to be most invested. If it’s action / plot led, the plot needs to keep beating on. If it’s character led, the reader needs to be emotionally invested.

IMO, there are some really big door stop fantasy books that could tell the same story in half the words. Samantha Shannon, for example chose to write around 800 pages for Priory of the Orange Tree. She could have stretched that out to make 2 or even 3 books had she wanted, but she obviously made the conscious decision to create a longer more in depth single book. I don’t think it needed to be that long personally, and more books could have meant more earnings, so it’s also about what you want to achieve and your creative goals.

Just my opinion, if I were the reader, I’d place different priorities on each of the themes you’re working with in book 2.

1. She has to face/respond to backlash from her people about the changes she made in book 1 — this could be a more overarching continuous plot theme.

2. She has to prioritize her allies' war because she promised to fight for them in book 1, which upsets her people because they think she should be focusing on her kingdom alone
4. She comes to possess a magical object that could give her the power to end her allies' war, despite them urging against it, and has to face the consequences of potentially using it (users are cursed)
— I would take these to be major plot points, and are also very action led.

3. She becomes a bit more familiar with her birth father's family (she meets her half brother but he doesn't know who she is; haven't decided if she'll meet her birth father here or in book 3)
5. Magic is pretty much extinct in her kingdom, but her adopted daughter (who nobody knows is adopted) shows signs of having magic, so she has to choose between getting rid of her daughter's power to protect her identity or letting her keep her powers.
—these could be emotive character led plot points.

Just my opinion, if I were the reader, I’d place different priorities on each of the themes you’re working with in book 2.

1. She has to face/respond to backlash from her people about the changes she made in book 1 — this could be a more overarching continuous plot theme.

— I would take these to be major plot points, and are also very action led.

—these could be emotive character led plot points.
This is so helpful! Thank you! I think you nailed it - I feel the same way about each of these. I'd say the entire trilogy is a 50/50 between plot led and character led so I definitely need a little bit of both. My concern is that readers will find it difficult to keep track of everything, but like you suggested, I can always bleed some of this into the third book if needed!

I think the plots you described would work fine in one book. The main reason I say that is that you could easily present all of them from the view point of your MC. It is possible to do multiple viewpoints following sub plots well (e.g. Steven Erikson, George Martin). My taste as a reader is that I like multiple subplots and minor characters as it makes a world seem more fleshed out. I find single view, single plot stories often feel like video game plots, where nothing happens outside a small radius of the MC.

Incanus

Auror
It looks pretty unanimous. I'd also say this should fit fine into one book.

However, you're farther along this road than I am, so use your best judgment--I'm writing book 1 now, and it won't be ready for quite a while. (I did write one novel before this, but it belongs in the trash can, unfortunately.)

I think the plots you described would work fine in one book. The main reason I say that is that you could easily present all of them from the view point of your MC. It is possible to do multiple viewpoints following sub plots well (e.g. Steven Erikson, George Martin). My taste as a reader is that I like multiple subplots and minor characters as it makes a world seem more fleshed out. I find single view, single plot stories often feel like video game plots, where nothing happens outside a small radius of the MC.
Agreed! Every book in the trilogy will have an additional 4-8 POVs scattered throughout in short scenes. I had really great responses to this for the first book so I'll definitely be doing it again in this one and the third!

It looks pretty unanimous. I'd also say this should fit fine into one book.

However, you're farther along this road than I am, so use your best judgment--I'm writing book 1 now, and it won't be ready for quite a while. (I did write one novel before this, but it belongs in the trash can, unfortunately.)
Don't trash it!!! The book I just published sat in a folder on my computer for 5 years - I went back and forth over whether I wanted to delete it or not, and I came really close to getting rid of it before I decided to give it another chance. I'm glad I did: I've been getting really amazing feedback so far! Granted, I rewrote a lot of it, but the premise is exactly the same as the original. Don't give up on it yet!

It sounds good. Focusing on interpersonal relationships is good to have in a book because not enough books have that. A lot of books say that they want to work on said interpersonal relationships and never do, it's just assumed that they do and therefore not shown in the book and the relationship with said person never improves. I think both readers and reviewers will love this and it's never too much for a book. Relationships with the people around you are always important. It's a good idea and probably won't be to long for the book (longer books have been written).

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
How much is too much really just needs the answer to how much can you juggle? Or, to be more craft-accurate, how many balls of flaming monkey crap can you juggle successfully?

Note the qualifier.

Now, writing is a really unfair thing that decrees that thou shall not advance without actually writing something. Stuff. Vast reams and reams of stuff. Best get started ASAP. It's a long, long road to the Hugo.

Also, and take this with a grain of salt, but in literally writing for 45 years I have learned one thing is true.

DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR WORK. Not only is it hurtful to Future You, but you never know when you can dig through that writing and find just the perfect passage. Also, sometimes it's fun to have a glass of wine and read the kid we were... and thanking little green apples that we're not that kid, anymore.