• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How much time do you take off between projects?

I am almost done writing my third novel (of a 4 book series), and I wondered: how long do you take off between projects? I usually take between a month and three. I find any less time and I'm not ready to jump back in with all my heart and passion. Any more makes me jittery getting started again--as if I might have forgotten how to write.

So, how long do you take off? Why?

My ideal is to take zero time off. In a perfect world, I'd be sitting at the keyboard generating 2000-4000 new words per day 4-6 days per week, all year.

My actual world does not always support that ideal. ;)

Kelise

Maester
I don't take time off, otherwise I lose the flow of writing as well as I can. I switch projects. I take about six months off a project between drafts so I can attack it with a clear mind, but I work on other projects in that time.

For me it depends on if I have anything new to work on. I have a bunch of ideas that are in pretty much constant development, but getting time actually writing is hit or miss for me. I think when my kids are older and start school I'll be better because I can get on a schedule (get up, get them ready, send them off, write, lunch, write, kids come home). Too bad it's going to be at least seven years before all my kids start Kindergarten. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to work around them until then. :)

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Honestly, I consider each chapter or major part a project all in itself. I usually take about a week break or so between chapters, and when I write, I'll pound out an entire chapter in a day when I'm feeling motivated.