• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to call the inhabitants of a country? (Grammar-related question)

In my current WIP I have a female character from a continent named Gandes. English isn't my first language and I have no idea what to call the inhabitants of the region. Gandesians? Gandesii? Gandes-men/women? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS. Is this the right thread for this? If not, I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to put it.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
It depends on the rules of the language your characters use. For instance, Arabs add the -i at the end of a nation to designate the person of that nation. In Arabic, an Egypt is named Masr. To say someone is Egyptian is to say they are Masri.

Here's a tip: pattern each nation after a real language so that you can pattern these nuances swiftly.

Ddruid

Minstrel
Why not just call them Gands? Hi, I'm from Gandes. I'm a Gand.

Or does that sound too weird? :) Hell, there are so many ways you could go here. Just choose what sounds best to you.

Trick

Auror
I'd say, if you're looking for an exotic lingual effect you should go with Gandesi. Sounds great and believable. However, as said above, patterning their language after a real one will help and gives you a lot of options. Gandesians sounds greco-roman to me and Gands definitely has a more modern English ring to it. Gandesmen gives me the impression of a civilized Germanic tribe.

Have fun deciding and good luck!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Gandalf? :p

"Hi I'm a Gandalf from the grey region." ... hahh

But seriously, playing with above, how about Gandalfi? To me it sounds nice enough.

If that doesn't work. My advice would be pick something simple that sounds cool to you. Simple is usually a good way to go.

Nobby

Sage
Or there's always Gandish...

If you can say it aloud three times without either bursting into laughter or needing throat surgery (apostrophe junkies, I'm looking at you!) and as long as it's clear who the name refers to, you are on the tight track...

Seriously, you sound a little bit like me, I worry about meaningless things because the BIG issue is poking me in the back of the head demanding attention!

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
If you can say it aloud three times without either bursting into laughter or needing throat surgery (apostrophe junkies, I'm looking at you!) and as long as it's clear who the name refers to, you are on the tight track...

Best laugh of the day - thanks. We need a 'like' button for moments such as this. I'm going to make one:

[LIKE] <sfx> Click! </sfx>

Ddruid

Minstrel
I'd say, if you're looking for an exotic lingual effect you should go with Gandesi. Sounds great and believable. However, as said above, patterning their language after a real one will help and gives you a lot of options. Gandesians sounds greco-roman to me and Gands definitely has a more modern English ring to it. Gandesmen gives me the impression of a civilized Germanic tribe.

I like the sound of Gandesi. You know that desi means Indian.

Thanks to everyone fr the help, I've finally decided to call them the Gandalfians of the Gray Continent thaks to penpilot's comment. Thanks for the help everyone.
Maybe their mortal enemies could be the Sarums of the Great Tower.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks to everyone fr the help, I've finally decided to call them the Gandalfians of the Gray Continent thaks to penpilot's comment. Thanks for the help everyone.

Given the number of LOTR fans in the world (me being one), I personally wouldn't go that route unless your work is a parody or homage to Tolkien, or otherwise humor-based. For a more serious-toned work, it just seems out of place.

Trick

Auror

This is not an insult, I'm genuinely curious; are you being sarcastic? I have to agree with Ireth if you're not. However, If you are, hahahahahahahahahaha (Like sarcasm, laughing just isn't the same when typed into a post.)

Given the number of LOTR fans in the world (me being one), I personally wouldn't go that route unless your work is a parody or homage to Tolkien, or otherwise humor-based. For a more serious-toned work, it just seems out of place.

This is not an insult, I'm genuinely curious; are you being sarcastic? I have to agree with Ireth if you're not. However, If you are, hahahahahahahahahaha (Like sarcasm, laughing just isn't the same when typed into a post.)

Of course I was joking. I probably should have mentioned that from the beginning. I'm going for Gandesii (the Arabic pronunciation) like I said in the first post. Thanks to everyone for the replies though.