• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to create a (very) short synopsis of your story

Eurthantian

Dreamer
Thank you for this. I always hated doing these...it' goes better knowing where apparent butchery is actually a promotional asset. Ironically, after muddling for years, I sorted out most of these bullet points on my own...but nice to see them laid out.

tlbodine

Troubadour
I always try to do this, now, as the first step of the editing process. I do a 250-word synopsis and 35-word logline before I start editing. Nothing makes you realize that you have horrible plot holes quite like trying to synopsize....

Mindfire

Istar
I'd actually advise doing this much earlier, during the outlining phase. Very useful for nailing down what the story is "about"- great for turning a nebulous story idea into a focused plot. Saves you a lot of time wandering around figuring things out, and consequently saves you time editing out extraneous details and closing plot holes later.

Unless you're a discovery writer and you like to create your story on the go, Mindfire. Then it's impossible to write a synopsis beforehand.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The synopsis isn't carved in stone. Go ahead and write one as early in the process as you can. Revisit it from time to time.

One advantage of doing it early: when people ask you what your story is about, you're more likely to tell them something interesting. More content, less hand-waving.

Mindfire

Istar
The synopsis isn't carved in stone. Go ahead and write one as early in the process as you can. Revisit it from time to time.

One advantage of doing it early: when people ask you what your story is about, you're more likely to tell them something interesting. More content, less hand-waving.

This. I used to always waffle and gesticulate when people asked that all-important question "So, what's it about?" Now all I have to do is point them to the synopsis.

Mindfire

Istar
What do you do if there isn't a central hero?

There is always a hero. You just have to think outside the box when considering who/what the hero is. Just as a villain can be nature, society, or inner demons, so hero doesn't automatically mean a prophesied teenager with a magic sword.

Meyer

Minstrel
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was main character. Would you just use the closest thing to it?

Mindfire

Istar
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was main character. Would you just use the closest thing to it?

Pretty much. "Hero" in this context just means protagonist, whoever that is. In your case, it could very well be a group of people.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
How does this work if your book has subplots with different protagonists?

You probably have to generalize and really figure out the core of what the story as a whole is.

For GOT as a series it might be something like this.

HERO - The lords of the land
SITUATION - Find themselves in a civil war for the crown as winter approaches
GOAL - To anoint a king
VILLAIN - The Others
DISASTER - The Others will invade and the land will not be ready to survive the long winter.

End result: The lords of the land find themselves in a civil war for the crown as winter approaches. Will they anoint a King in time to prepare for the long winter ahead and the coming of The Others?

SeverinR

Vala
Penplot:
Very good example, there is so many subplots in this series, it would truly impossible to include them all. Although someone reading the situation would not understand how bad a "long winter" was nor what the "others" were, on those two terms you might need to expound.

"Winter that lasts years,"

"A strange and powerful people of the north, called the "others" reign destruction during the winter."

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I think just saying "The Others" evokes a certain measure of curiosity about exactly what they are, but "years-long winter" is far clearer than plain "long winter", and a bit more succinct than "winter that lasts years".