• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

blog How to Find the Discipline and Focus to Write

Featured Author submitted a new blog post:

How to Find the Discipline and Focus to Write
This article is by Anne Marie Gazzolo.

victory.jpg

I am a master procrastinator and gold-medal winner in the art of distracting myself from what is important. I was so daunted by the amount of notes to gather into a cohesive first draft of my new book, Chosen, about the journeys of Bilbo and Frodo, I put it off again and again. I finally started in January 2017 after I was over the worst of the flu. I had some downtime while I recovered and used it wisely. And guess what? I finished my first draft far sooner than I thought.

My fear to start— which was a fierce and roaring tiger before I began —turned out to be only a paper tiger. I actually was into my third draft before the date I set to finish the first. I finally decided this was important enough to invest some quality time, and it is out at last.

So how can you find the same time to give birth to your own ideas and books?

Set specific deadlines to finish various drafts and/or how many pages you will write or edit each day.

Honor these commitments. My brain works easier with a deadline to meet, rather than a vague ‘write a book this year.’ Give yourself particular dates you must be done. If it helps, use dates important to your story or your life. For me, I chose particular dates in Middle-earth, like finish the first draft by March 25, second by Mid-Year’s Day, etc. Once you commit yourself, your brain will figure...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Babayaga321

Scribe
My writing comes in waves, sometimes weeks will pass when I don't feel I can put down a single word. But when it does come I try to write in blocks of 25 minutes at a time - I have an app on my phone which records the passage of time and my progress. I also try to aim for 500 words a day - usually grabbing an opportunity to write first thing in the morning before work, or (like now) in the evening. Instrumental music - preferably of the fantasy genre - is a must for my inspriration; including many of the more melodic themes from LOTR by Howard Shore. :)

I used to write like I was on speed. Every spare minute I got, even at school or work, and nothing was more important or came easier too me. I'm crap at all others life things.
But then my Dad died. I spent quite a few years not writing because other things were going on in my head. Now it's been so long I don't seem to be able to do it anymore. I love it as much as ever but seem to be struggling.
Been going through all these articles on Google to see if any suggest anything helpful - but they don't.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I used to write like I was on speed. Every spare minute I got, even at school or work, and nothing was more important or came easier too me. I'm crap at all others life things.
But then my Dad died. I spent quite a few years not writing because other things were going on in my head. Now it's been so long I don't seem to be able to do it anymore. I love it as much as ever but seem to be struggling.
Been going through all these articles on Google to see if any suggest anything helpful - but they don't.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Take heart in that the writing does and will come back. If you sit regularly and even type out a handful of paragraphs the habit will return.