• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How To Handle Writer Jealousy

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
To say "I want that too" is not a bad thing. It's when you develop contempt for people because of what they have that things go in a bad direction.

Exactly that. I pick on writers and books all the time, but I respect the work... I figure if I'm picking on you, you've made it anyhow, so who cares? heh heh. Now, there are writers I don't respect but it's outside their novels and come down to personal statements and behavior, totally different.

Yora

Maester
Unless we are worried by writers spreading malicious ideas to an apparently large and receptive audience, there really isn't anything bad about someone else being succesful. Not everyone can be number 1, but other people's success don't diminish mine.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Unless we are worried by writers spreading malicious ideas to an apparently large and receptive audience, there really isn't anything bad about someone else being succesful. Not everyone can be number 1, but other people's success don't diminish mine.
I couldn't agree more!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Wait... A famous fantasy writer who got rich by writing fantasy is regulary badmouthing fantasy? How does that happen?!

The couple of comments I've seen involve someone saying, "I don't really like fantasy," and her replying something like, "To be honest, neither do I..." and then making a pitch for Harry Potter like it's different. I mean, like I said, small stuff but enough to rub some people the wrong way.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver

Yeah, writing success is far from a zero sum competition, hence Martin and rowling can both be successful along with many other writers.

Well, this wandered off topic, but...

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a piece of fiction that worried me about anything., but I’m also a hard core freedom of speech kind of person. Passing off fiction as reality is anotehr issue... see politics! LOL. One of the most aggravating things for me is reading of some writer getting hammered by other writers becuase they don’t toe some politically correct line... Lionel Shriver’s speech in Brisbane comes to mind, the crap she caught for that was ridiculous.

Lionel Shriver's full speech: 'I hope the concept of cultural appropriation is a passing fad'