1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

How would you react to this tense shift

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Steerpike, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Thanks, Ankari. If that's the case, and you view both past and present tense the same in that regard, then the shift shouldn't matter, at least on that point (there might be other reasons you don't like it).

2. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

After rereading my post, I realized that it was confusing. What I mean by "past" is a story set in a time before the current. Such as a story set in 1829.

3. Agran Velion

Agran Velion Minstrel

At the very worst it would throw me off for a few chapters, but it is highly possible I wouldn't notice it. As Benjamin said, as long as the prose style is good, it wouldn't bother me.

...wait, The Hunger Games is in present tense? I'm not joking, I had no idea.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Yes. There is a bit of a trend toward present tense in teen/YA novels, from what I've seen the past few years.

5. Agran Velion

Agran Velion Minstrel

Considering I've read all three books, you'd think I'd have realized it.

6. Claire

Claire Scribe

Just adding another opinion... I do think I would notice, but if the book is written well and it works with the flow of the story, I think it would be fine. I'm picky about how an author handles POV shifts (I guess we all have our "thing" that rubs us wrong), but as long as it is clear the POV is shifting, along with the tense shift, it could work - no mid-scene jumping between characters and tenses.

7. shangrila

shangrila Inkling

It might be weird to start with, but then I found the first person perspective of the Black Company books at first. You can pretty much get used to anything with enough time.

And, as people have said, just try it. If it isn't working...eh. Just re-write it. No problemo.

8. Lawfire

Lawfire Sage

I do, and I find present tense to be rather unsettling.