• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Humor in Novels?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I was thinking a little about how to incorporate humor into a work of fantasy, and I was wondering if there were any good examples from your favorite authors.

Mostly, I'm hoping for examples of comedic moments that worked in otherwise serious stories. Thoughts? Favorites?

Darkblade

Troubadour
The Dresden Files is famous for this, although a lot of the humour is references to eighties pop culture and sarcasm from the main character. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Read some Steven Brust. The Phoenix Guards, or any of the Vlad Taltos books. Also, James P. Blaylock's classics The Elfin Ship and The Disappearing Dwarf are quite funny in places.

Sparkie

Auror
One of my all-time favorites is in Before They Are Hanged. It's the scene where Black Dow asks the Dogman about his relationship with Cathil. Not for kids, but laugh-out-loud funny.

Jessquoi

Troubadour
My favourite humorous moments in fantasy novels have come from funny dialogue between characters. It can be hard to 'describe' a funny moment happening as a narrator but when it appears that the character spontaneously says something funny that seems real it's easier for the author to pull off. Characters in books will often say things that people in real life wouldn't dare to, a famous example being the Weasley twins from Harry Potter.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I think Robert Asprin does a great job in his MYTH series. It isn't an epic fantasy, and not COMPLETELY serious, but there are a few scenes that make me laugh thinking about them years later. One is where the two bodyguards are arguing about who's grouping is better on the archery field. The sergeant is red-faced and fuming as these two block heads are bickering who's two-inch grouping is smaller... when BOTH men put their groupings in the SHOULDER of the target. The sergeant goes, "Why didn't you hit him in the head if you can shoot like that?"
The bodyguards look all confused at each other. "Because if you wound 'im, it takes three men out of the action..."

I think what makes it funny is that they're proficient and the sergeant is under one assumption (that all men training under him are training to KILL the bad guys). While the bodyguards (mafia trained) are under the impression it's work as usual. I think having people misunderstand makes for a hilarious confrontation when they realize their goals or assumptions are different. And that doesn't make it a silly scene. MYTH is full of silliness, but for the most part, I think the humor is very tasteful, pretty straight and not goofy, and really really funny. Hope that helps.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think what makes it funny is that they're proficient and the sergeant is under one assumption (that all men training under him are training to KILL the bad guys). While the bodyguards (mafia trained) are under the impression it's work as usual. I think having people misunderstand makes for a hilarious confrontation when they realize their goals or assumptions are different. And that doesn't make it a silly scene. MYTH is full of silliness, but for the most part, I think the humor is very tasteful, pretty straight and not goofy, and really really funny. Hope that helps.

So far it sounds like the easiest way to add humor is through dialogue. But this one sounds like sitcom-style humor, where different characters perceive the same events differently. It would be interesting to think about fitting a sitcom-style subplot into a serious story. I'll have to think about that.

One of my all-time favorites is in Before They Are Hanged. It's the scene where Black Dow asks the Dogman about his relationship with Cathil. Not for kids, but laugh-out-loud funny.

Without having read it, I think I can pull off the forced-awkward-relationship-question thing. I didn't really care for Best Served Cold, though, so I don't know if I'll pick that up or not.

Terry Pratchet...

Isn't he all comedy? I've got him on my reading list, but it's my understanding that he's pretty far afield from anything I might want to write. I'm looking for the kind of humor that can fit into a serious story.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Isn't he all comedy? I've got him on my reading list, but it's my understanding that he's pretty far afield from anything I might want to write. I'm looking for the kind of humor that can fit into a serious story.

Oh, goodness no. A lot of his stories are steeped in drama, and some even have tearjerking moments (though as with anything, your mileage may vary).

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Oh, goodness no. A lot of his stories are steeped in drama, and some even have tearjerking moments (though as with anything, your mileage may vary).

Which would you recommend?

Though, by "all comedy," I meant . . . . gee, what did I mean. I'm looking for examples of humor that can fit into a world where people and things behave normally, given magic. I thought Pratchett, and Discworld, require a high suspension of disbelief, maintained by humor, even if the story has drama.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Robert Jordan made me laugh a few times with his character Matt Cauthom. Steven Erikson had me laugh a few times with the banter of soldiers.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Which would you recommend?

Reaper Man has always been one of my favorites. Then there's Thud!, Snuff, Going Postal, Making Money, Maskerade, Soul Music, the Tiffany Aching quartet (The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight), and The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents.

Though, by "all comedy," I meant . . . . gee, what did I mean. I'm looking for examples of humor that can fit into a world where people and things behave normally, given magic. I thought Pratchett, and Discworld, require a high suspension of disbelief, maintained by humor, even if the story has drama.

Well, it's probably more sci-fi than fantasy, but I recently started reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the first two books have not disappointed. If you enjoy parody, The Soddit is a marvellous send-up of The Hobbit that had me laughing out loud.

The Unseemly

Troubadour
Terry Pratchet on a more serious note? I suggest Monstrous Regiment. Also, Making Money is a more "serious" one if you like.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Terry Pratchet on a more serious note? I suggest Monstrous Regiment. Also, Making Money is a more "serious" one if you like.
Snuff - not many belly laughs there but I still loved it. On a personal note - I think Captain [Commander or Duke] Vimes is one of the best literary characters I have ever read.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I've been complimented before on my "one-liners". I tend to do my humor in dialogues and internal thoughts, but when I think back to things I've found funny...

I remember (again from the MYTN series), one of the humorous bodyguards asking a female wizard apprentice, "How many times have you been attacked by something huge and furry in the middle of the night." (a reference to their tracking down werewolves and him being allergic to them, his eyes all red and puffy and his nose sniffly. She replies, "Not as often as I'd like..."

OR sometimes authors give a funny perspective thing, like a mispronounced name, a description dripping with sarcasm, or a conflict between characters that makes for a humorous scene. I'd have to say with some disappointment that most of the scenes I wrote to muse myself have been cut down so the things I thought were funny are mostly gone, but I'd like to believe one day I will be good enough to make people laugh along with me. Until I master that art though, I'll have to bow to the greater experience of my crit partners. I they don't find it funny, it gets cut. Hope you find a winning combination and if you do, please post a scene.

The Unseemly

Troubadour
Oh, well, here's my area of cough expertise:

A third class theif has just been incinerated by a dragon. He talks to Death.
Theif: "Well, I remember an' old gypsy witch sayin' I was gonna live to a ripe age and die with weeping grandchildren all around me. Wadda ya think of that, eh?"
Death: "I think she was wrong."

Courtesy of Terry Pratchet... again...

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I tried again a few months ago to read Pratchett. Was probably the 4th or 5th time. Not grokking the attraction, I'm sorry to say :) Hitchhiker's Guide, however, is brilliant. Also, you might look at Toole's Confederacy of Dunces or Joseph Heller's Catch-22. ​Both are quite funny.

Lucas

Troubadour
I was thinking a little about how to incorporate humor into a work of fantasy, and I was wondering if there were any good examples from your favorite authors.

Mostly, I'm hoping for examples of comedic moments that worked in otherwise serious stories. Thoughts? Favorites?

Think of situations you yourself are finding funny, and apply them to the book. It won't be fun unless you yourself are having it fun.

Unless you are Eric Vaughn and are responsible for creating the Electric Retard webcomic. Then you should not use your own humour. Srsly plz... :p

Jamber

Sage
Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint and The Privilege of the Sword both manage to be funny as well as serious, though the humour is fairly subtle. And Kage Baker's Anvil of the World has many laugh-out-loud moments while not being entirely silly. These are manners books so may not be a style of humour you're after.

I also love it in Gormenghast when Headmaster Bellgrove and Irma Prunesquallor are courting. Not many scenes later their marriage is on the rocks, and they're both speaking about love in the past tense. A large part of the humour is the gap between what they've been telling themselves when we're 'in their heads' and what they declaim. Hilarious and dark.

Dark comedy, light comedy -- I suppose it depends whether you want to provide moments of light relief, or add bleak humour to messages of grimness and futility. :)