• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I think I'm gonna have to change my story to mythological beings instead

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
My original idea was this martial arts story, but seeing that it may not have much of a fanbase, which seems like it would end up becoming sub-par, with some responses on here already mentioning how similar it is to Cobra Kai. So what I might do is make this an elite private academy school where kids are sent to that have powers which is run by an organization that is planning to use these students to combat aliens which mixes the urban fantasy theme. But instead, each student would be a mythological being like a werewolf, vampire, demon, witch, warlock, etc.

I can keep the same story premise with the bad mentor/teacher that wrongs the MC growing up and as an adult would realize the mentor's and school's flaws. Other secret schools can have fighting competitions with one another, even specialize the schools with hand to hand combat training with their powers combined.

Does this sound better than the martial art story with the Cobra Kai flair that I posted before? Would this reach a higher audience?

Last edited:
My original idea was this martial arts story, but seeing that it may not have much of a fanbase, which seems like it would end up becoming sub-par, with some responses on here already mentioning how similar it is to Cobra Kai. So what I might do is make this an elite private academy school where kids are sent to that have powers which is run by an organization that is planning to use these students to combat aliens which mixes the urban fantasy theme. But instead, each student would be a mythological being like a werewolf, vampire, demon, witch, warlock, etc.

I can keep the same story premise with the bad mentor/teacher that wrongs the MC growing up and as an adult would realize the mentor's and school's flaws. Other secret schools can have fighting competitions with one another, even specialize the schools with hand to hand combat training with their powers combined.

Does this sound better than the martial art story with the Cobra Kai flair that I posted before? Would this reach a higher audience?
Write what you want. Don't just worry about an audience- do you want to write this story? Do you want to write the other one? Do you want to write both? What do you want to write? It's not just about finding an audience, its also about having fun expressing your creativity through writing.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Perhaps I can write both separate stories. But it seems like all my ideas are boring and are overplayed. No one seems to like them :(

Do you think anyone would be willing to read a story about an underdog homeless martial artist who had to overcome an abusive mentor, learn from a new good mentor, having animal spirits and drug companies involved with the sponsoring of enhance doping fighters, and the underdog making a comeback at age 50, becoming a champion martial artist?

And a story about kids with magic powers or each one being some kind of monster/mythology trope sent to a private school cause they wouldn't fit in a normal school or society and the hero then grown up realizes this and realizes what the schools true use of bad intentions and what the intent of each student was being used for? I had this idea for a long time as well.

I know this is for my own creativity, but it seems like no one likes my ideas at all, where there are other ideas are more compelling. Doesn't mean I'll give up these ideas, I just wish there was something I could add that would help others enjoy it was well :(

Perhaps I can write both separate stories. But it seems like all my ideas are boring and are overplayed. No one seems to like them :(

Do you think anyone would be willing to read a story about an underdog homeless martial artist who had to overcome an abusive mentor, learn from a new good mentor, having animal spirits and drug companies involved with the sponsoring of enhance doping fighters, and the underdog making a comeback at age 50, becoming a champion martial artist?

And a story about kids with magic powers or each one being some kind of monster/mythology trope sent to a private school cause they wouldn't fit in a normal school or society and the hero then grown up realizes this and realizes what the schools true use of bad intentions and what the intent of each student was being used for? I had this idea for a long time as well.

I know this is for my own creativity, but it seems like no one likes my ideas at all, where there are other ideas are more compelling. Doesn't mean I'll give up these ideas, I just wish there was something I could add that would help others enjoy it was well :(
Um, yes. Plenty of people would LOVE to read that. Don't beat yourself up for no reason!

The idea is fine.

The thing is, ideas are cheap. I keep a list where I jot down interesting ideas, each of which can be developed into a story or even a complete novel (or in some cases a serries of novels). Currently the list contains 65 entries. Then, each novel / novella I write (I stand at 3 currently) generates enough ideas for a further three novels (so that's another 9 ideas).

Also, two people can have the exact same idea and once they write it, the novel will be completely different. If I took this idea and wrote a novel, it would be nothing like when you write it.

And then there is the story behind "Codex Alera", which is a bestselling series by Jim Butcher. He gave another author a challenge to give him the two worst ideas that author could come up with and he would turn it into a great story. The two ideas turned out to be "The lost Roman Legion" and "Pokemon". Which sound bizar if you combine them, but he did it masterfully.

All that to say, stop worrying about your idea. The only way you can turn that into a story and find out if it's an interesting story is to write it.

Gwynndamere

Dreamer
Agreed. Write the story that is trying to be told inside your head. Just get it down on paper and go from there! I never wrote with the intent of publishing. I started writing because the ideas would not stop coming and the characters wanted to be heard. I wrote for my own pleasure. It was only many years later when I asked people to read or review my books did I consider publishing them for others to read.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Um, yes. Plenty of people would LOVE to read that. Don't beat yourself up for no reason!

Okay that does make me feel better! But how can I make it plausible enough that a 45 year old who's been homeless for about 8 years who in the past did martial arts is found by a good mentor who helps train him in a new style of 5 years of rigorous training and by age 50, the MC would be a top athlete fighter champion? And how do I make a good reason for the new mentor for wanting to help the underdog MC and train him this way? So far I have it that the MC, homeless would of saved some kids on the street for being harassed by bullies and the new mentor hears the news and decides to help the poor MC out by making him a fighter, is this a good enough reason?

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
The idea is fine.

The thing is, ideas are cheap. I keep a list where I jot down interesting ideas, each of which can be developed into a story or even a complete novel (or in some cases a serries of novels). Currently the list contains 65 entries. Then, each novel / novella I write (I stand at 3 currently) generates enough ideas for a further three novels (so that's another 9 ideas).

Also, two people can have the exact same idea and once they write it, the novel will be completely different. If I took this idea and wrote a novel, it would be nothing like when you write it.

And then there is the story behind "Codex Alera", which is a bestselling series by Jim Butcher. He gave another author a challenge to give him the two worst ideas that author could come up with and he would turn it into a great story. The two ideas turned out to be "The lost Roman Legion" and "Pokemon". Which sound bizar if you combine them, but he did it masterfully.

All that to say, stop worrying about your idea. The only way you can turn that into a story and find out if it's an interesting story is to write it.

So what you're saying is even if it's not such a good idea, it can still develop into one? I think the fear of me holding back is I get caught up on not figuring anything out, because while I have ideas for some, the one I have trouble most with is what keeps me from writing anything else. The idea about the homeless martial artist that becomes a top fighter at age 50 with animal spirits and drug companies, with figuring out how to put it all together is wearing me down :(

Agreed. Write the story that is trying to be told inside your head. Just get it down on paper and go from there! I never wrote with the intent of publishing. I started writing because the ideas would not stop coming and the characters wanted to be heard. I wrote for my own pleasure. It was only many years later when I asked people to read or review my books did I consider publishing them for others to read.

I'm trying, but after so many negative comments in the past about how a 50 year old MC could not be able to fight or that drug companies dying fighters to sponsor their enhanced drugs isn't plsusible enough or that animal spirits seem silly and controversial is placing me into suffering from writers block :(

I'm trying, but after so many negative comments in the past about how a 50 year old MC could not be able to fight
He would with magic
drug companies dying fighters to sponsor their enhanced drugs isn't plsusible enough
That sounds cool. Ignore the people who claim that it's not plausible, because it seems plausible enough to me
that animal spirits seem silly
Whoever says that is an idiot
controversial
Depends on how you portray them.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
He would with magic

But how could I do it without the use of magic and just trained hard by 50? In case the magic idea fails?

That sounds cool. Ignore the people who claim that it's not plausible, because it seems plausible enough to me

First sorry for the grammar error. I meant drug companies having fighters sponsor their drugs, not dying. And I've been told that this would be a waste of time for drug companies to use and sponsor fighters for and accomplish nothing, why? :(

Whoever says that is an idiot

I think they thought it was too cartoonish? :(

Depends on how you portray them.

I can mix them from different cultures or just make them up?

First sorry for the grammar error. I meant drug companies having fighters sponsor their drugs, not dying. And I've been told that this would be a waste of time for drug companies to use and sponsor fighters for and accomplish nothing, why? :(
I disagree. It would not be a waste of time.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
I think you're right. What could I say the benefit would be for these fighters that are being sponsored by each drug company?
Probably money. Or superpowers.
What do you think of my idea?
I like it. The idea of a martial artist with animal spirit-sourced abilities battling against drug sponsored-fighters sounds quite novel indeed, and it honestly sounds like a book I might enjoy.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Probably money. Or superpowers.

Could it make sense they would win animal spirits? But then the company would just use the animal spirits to test on them instead of the drug?

I like it. The idea of a martial artist with animal spirit-sourced abilities battling against drug sponsored-fighters sounds quite novel indeed, and it honestly sounds like a book I might enjoy.

Thanks! But he's supposed to be an underdog. If he had it all along he would've been too powerful from the start, but if his new good mentor gave it to him, how could I say the good mentor got it if he didn't have it either? The good mentor's wife and daughter were born with it.