• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

If your book was banned...

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Agreed with Seth. Plus, a lot of banned books are (or used to be) required reading in schools. Books like Brave New World and Adventures of Tom Sawyer. If anything, as an author, I might be amused that people see my books as a threat enough to the status quo to be banned, but I probably wouldn't do anything about it.

Tom Sawyer is a banned book?

Shockley

Maester
Both of Twain's bigger works were banned at some point.

Of course, 'ban' in the United States isn't really accurate. More like 'A number of libraries and book stores refused to carry it.'

Steerpike

Felis amatus
One banned book that I was just discussing with Rikilamaro, and which everyone should check out, is Vladimir Nabokov's "Lolita."

The writing is simply brilliant throughout, and I think English was Nabokov's third language. You'll never find a better illustration of the unreliable narrator. The fact that Nabokov can draw you in with the narrative of a guy who is, at essence, a despicable, monstrous human, and make you chuckle at his wit and appreciate the elaborate word play...well, I don't think many people could pull that off, and certainly not with the same degree of success. Check it out.