• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Improving the craft, or undermining confidence?

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
To my mind, being 'special' is more about confidence. The fantasy I've read that stood out was not so much about having a unique and clever idea, (I've read stuff with brilliant ideas that was very poorly executed) it was more about having the confidence to take that idea and let it go wherever it wants to go, without worrying about whether people will like it or whether it will be marketable or whether it will be controversial or whether it's politically correct.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think that's right, Pauline. And I think authors who take that approach are more likely to come across as distinctive.

BWFoster - I have more or less the same reaction. In my experience, the ones that create an impression and stick with me are the ones where the author has a distinctive voice and style that lingers long after I've put the book down. People are all going to have their own feelings on what makes a book memorable of course.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I've always thought one of the qualities that make any work of fiction special, depends on the author writing with unabashed honesty.

What I mean by honesty is having the bravery to write exactly what should be written, what the characters would really do, without concern for how the outside world would view those actions (and perhaps attribute them to the author). For example, Nabokov's "Lolita".

Though it sounds simple, it's not the easiest thing to do. Further, I think it takes a certain maturity, both within the craft and life itself, to write that way. Writing with honesty is always more interesting.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
What I mean by honesty is having the bravery to write exactly what should be written, what the characters would really do, without concern for how the outside world would view those actions (and perhaps attribute them to the author). For example, Nabokov's "Lolita".

Yes, I agree with this. And Lolita is also a great example of the writer having a distinctive style and use of language. It's a brilliant book.

To my mind, being 'special' is more about confidence. The fantasy I've read that stood out was not so much about having a unique and clever idea, (I've read stuff with brilliant ideas that was very poorly executed) it was more about having the confidence to take that idea and let it go wherever it wants to go, without worrying about whether people will like it or whether it will be marketable or whether it will be controversial or whether it's politically correct.

When I talk about the spark of originality, I'm not talking about just a unique and clever idea (although that might be part of it). I'm talking about an original flavour that shines through the work in a way that makes us think:

- I love being in this place
- I love hearing this voice
- this story is familiar, yet completely different to everything else I've ever read
- the plot is really strong. I keep thinking I know where it's going but it keeps surprising me
- nobody else could do it like this
- I am really starting to panic as the pages dwindle in my right hand
- I will always enjoy reading this book. It doesn't matter that I know what's coming, I just love being in this world.

I'd call myself a writer if I could achieve that sort of book.

C

Chessie

Yes, I agree with this. And Lolita is also a great example of the writer having a distinctive style and use of language. It's a brilliant book.

I LOVE that book. What a fantastic story, that one is.

And to add on to T. Allen's post (like I meant to before I hit send accidentally), I was disappointed in a certain end to a certain fantasy novel I recently read that could have been executed much stronger, but for whatever reason, the story kept sinking until the very end despite a powerful start.

I don't get that. It really seemed like he was holding back, and the things that ended up happening were ridiculous and void of emotions, it all just seemed like Disney's fairyland and I was suddenly reading a kid's book. For sure, we must write what's in our hearts and stay true to that. If it feels forced to us, it will come across as forced to our readers.

Last edited by a moderator: