• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

In other forums, there's like a chat thread, I think you have Chit-Chat if that's what it is, but it's a game instead

BearBear

Archmage
A typical type one is like "last one to post wins" so you can just say gibberish or blog or post something you did, like art but not necessarily want it in a portfolio or memes or just chatting but it has the secondary competition of being the last to post which keeps it active.

Can I make one like this? Where would I put it? My friend and I used to use this to like txt but in an open way where anyone else can join us. She'd join if there was something like that. It would literally be called "Last one to post wins" and it is intended to be flooded and double posting is ok as long as it's hours apart like 6 hours or so kind of like "bump".

It's your site, so I won't be offended if you say no, but it might lure lurkers out and foster more interaction and engagement. I get that you also have an actual chat but it gets erased and this one would be a forum thread and have permanence so you could post something and reference it later.

It's like a thread where anything goes, rants, encouragement, just daily blah, I like that sort of thing and this forum is cool, cooler if it had that.

Thank you for your consideration

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Kill this Thread This thread is similar to your idea, but feel free to create a new one.

Those types of threads would indeed be posted in Chit Chat.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Those thread pop up, but they dont get a lot of attention. Caption this is the most recent one.

BearBear

Archmage
Kill this Thread This thread is similar to your idea, but feel free to create a new one.

Those types of threads would indeed be posted in Chit Chat.

Okay I'll try it then. I see some game threads there so hopefully it's just not taken as yet another one that has 30 days between posts.

So what's your policy on double posting or like reaction images, is it ok in chit chat?

BearBear

Archmage
Those thread pop up, but they dont get a lot of attention.

Yeah the ones you have spotlighted are definitely good ones but I wonder why they're not more active unless the official chat is the release for such activity. 🤔

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Who knows? I dont mind them when the conversations are slow, but I do when ppl have things to bring up.

I guess I feel there is a balance, ppl having fun attracts more ppl, but if fun is all ppl see, its not really about writing stuff anymore. Personally, I like that my commitment here does not have to be large.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
At the moment. Recently, I would say I am the most active member, but I don't follow the chat feed. I do see some regulars there.

But if work was busy, that would change pretty fast. Its not, so...

BearBear

Archmage
The last forum I was really active in was a meditation forum but it died starting in 2020 when they changed software from BB code to some really clunky stuff by comparison. Literally half the users left overnight and never came back. The only ones left aren't very active and I don't think they're even accepting new members. This is really active by comparison. It seems like most of the activity in the last one before 2020 was oppressive moderation and drama, it was exciting though. Yeah this meditation/introspection really brought everything to the surface so people were edgy.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Heheh...Meditation required oppressive moderation? Somehow, that seems both fitting and wrong.

I've been on others, sometimes active, sometimes not. Now I seem to be active. It usually gets quiet on the weekends, and if there are not good topics up, things can move slow. What can you do?

I like that the site has a lot of people past the early stages and more into the publishing/marketing stage. I also like the exercise of some of the questions. If this was heavy with Peer Review, I would be less active.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Stuff happens.

Thats what i meant by it can make us look at unserious if all thats on the board is games. But…

I dont mind games. I just stop if a new subject comes up.

Last edited:

BearBear

Archmage
On other sites, it collapses the latest to per topic, like a toggle. I don't see that here.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
if you look at the new posts view it looks more like you say. Latest posts and new posts are almost the same.

I prefer latest posts.