• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

In which forum can I ask for beta readers?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Subject says it all. I've looked around at the various forums and can't quite figure where I should make such a request.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I've done it three ways. One, I posted something in the showcase and asked for volunteers to keep reading. So that's one. Second, I posted in chit chat, where anything goes. Just make sure to tell people what kind of crit you're looking for and be prepared to reciprocate, volunteering to trade with a potential beta reader and exchange crits. Third, I've met people in chat and they read a chapter in my portfolio and expressed an interest in reading on. It always helps if you have work posted, so we can see a sample. And it also helps to mention what you're willing to give in exchange. It isn't necessary, of course, but people are more likely to respond if you trade manuscripts and read for each other.

Hope that helps.

I've met a lot of crit partners on this site and some are people I now contact regularly, chat with on the phone, and have become friends and part of my support network. The best way to find good people to work with, is to make sure you're clear about the goal, for instance: This is a first draft manuscript I need read for flow, plot, and consistency." Or, "This is a second draft, 95% complete, and ready to go to an agent". You'll want skilled readers and critters on the second one, whereas on the first, you don't require a line crit, but a general thoughts crit.

Also, be honest about the quality of the manuscript itself. If you tout it as "ready for an agent" and the critter gets in there and sees notes, highlighted sections you might delete later, info dumps, placeholders, excessive grammar/ spelling typos... ETC they will become frustrated and probably quit. I'm only mentioning this because I have unfortunately done this and thankfully still have one of my first crit partners, who was willing to stick through my growing with me. So, just try to give as much info as you can, post a sample somewhere, and let us know if you'll read and crit in return, and that's the best way I've found to land great partners.

I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today without the help and continued friendship and support of my crit partners. I've learned so much from reading for other people and hearing their comments, I'm going to have an "Acknowledgements" section three pages long.

Best wishes.