• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for two beta readers with a similar philosophy to me

First of all: I want honesty and commitment, so trust can be built. If you send me your work, then you should also tell me how much criticizing you can stand. Not that I'm overly critical, but if I see something I don't agree with, I won't hesitate to mention it. Give me a clear picture of what it is you're expecting of my effort, don't think that I'll do the work twice because you didn't get the information that you really wanted. The fault for that lies with you, the instructor. If you say 'Yes, I will beta read for you', then I expect you to do it. I will make the same commitment to your work, if you have any that needs proofreading.

I hope it's clear that everything in the paragraph above should go both ways.

Now to move on to what it is that I write. I'm still embarassed about it, but I've written erotic fiction and am still writing it. So far I've worked put one full novel, I'm working on a loose sequel to it and I have a chunk of a third story. In all three of them, BDSM is a recurring theme, focussing more on the Ds (Domination/submission) part, since I find that dynamic more interesting to play with. I really think it's worth anybody's time to read up on Ds, their take on a relationship is valuable. Never mind the sex stuff and the Ds bits, the base they build their relationship on is so strong, because it needs to be. It's really a beautiful thing to see. I've also added subjects that are somewhat harder to deal with, recovering from sexual addiction, recovering from sexual abuse and a nonconsensual Ds relationship respectively. I want to explore these things and although I enjoy thinking up fun sex scenes and get a little creative with that, to me the emotional exploration is just as important. It also means that what I write could easily divide an audience, but I've been learning lately that that's not a bad thing.

I am now also working on my first fantasy novel, I've dropped some bits and pieces about it here and there on this forum. I'm thinking of seeing how fast I can crank it out, which doesn't mean forced writing, but I want to be intensive about it and write in a more professional instead of in a hobbyist way.

What I think (and hope) the unique selling point for my book will be is that the MC struggles with a psychological problem that exists in real life, giving me a firm hold to write with depth. Apart from that, I want my characters to be competent and do stuff. Sure, they might fail if the story calls for it, but still, they do stuff. The average scene length I'm aiming for is 1250 words, I'm used to about a 1000 words for most of my scenes, but I figured I'd bump it up a bit. In practice that means you'll probably won't see much describing of landscapes etc. etc. I want things to flow, I want things to happen, I want to show the brutality that people are capable of and I want to show the greatness they are just as capable of.

So, to round this up: If you like reading erotica with a BDSM theme or you like reading darker fantasy or even better, you like both, then might you consider responding? If you feel that my words resonate with you, do respond. I'd like to start up a rapport with one or two people before going on to proofreading. I'm willing to put in the work to beta read and to not do a sloppy, worthless job, but I won't hide that I'm not willing to do it if I don't get the same in return.

I guess I'm too embarassed to show my friends the erotica, maybe I can overcome this here. I know I'd like for them to read my fantasy.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
2Way