• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Inquiry about some names for kingdoms

Zireael

Troubadour
Inswhara - Japanese vibes
Xocanayara - Mesoamerican
Duhnir - Norse
Charruka/Charrun - Middle East
Seratti - African/Italian
Tenahmon - Egyptian
Ishron - Middle Eastern
Zitzaya - Mesoamerican (and keep the 't')
Mijawa - Japanese

P.S. Anshan(a)ka - nothing in particular

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
First of all, I think it was implied by the context that "doable" here means "readable."

In the context of a writers' forum, I naturally assumed that 'doable' means 'writeable' :) So sure, it's perfectly possible to write a book about nine kingdoms, but the result might be tricky for the average reader to follow. As I think Mr Martin demonstrates.

Second, even if you don't find Martin's books readable, a lot of people obviously do.

Martin's a brilliant writer, and he single-handedly drew me back to fantasy after many (mostly) dragon-free years, so I will always be grateful to him for that, but ASOIAF has become a monstrous sprawl, and part of the reason is because he chose to have so many kingdoms (and tell us all about every last one of them, of course). He said himself at one point, I believe, that he rather wished he'd settled on five or so (maybe tongue in cheek, I don't know). I love him dearly, but honestly, Dance With Dragons was 1000 pages[*] that moved the plot forward precisely three inches. And frankly, I've given up trying to keep up with the tsunami of names and houses and sigils and named swords and tangled relationships. Yes, he's sold several tons of books, but whether the average Joe on the street would find it 'readable' - I dunno.

[*] And thank all the gods for ereaders...

I think I would want to add to that: Does the plot of your story (I presume you're writing a story and not just creating a world to be creating a world) need nine kingdoms? Is one or a few dominant? Or for example, are they all at war with each other, or forming alliances, that will make it necessary to refer to all of them? You may find that some of them don't get mentioned very often, but they WILL need to show up on your map.

Gurkhal

Auror
Thansk guys for all the replies. It alot more than I had expected and I am very grateful. :)

Is the H really necessary? Not sure how to pronouce it. Why not just make it "Inswara"?

I suppose I wold spell it Inswara, it probably wouldn't made huge difference to me.

Second A wants to turn mute when I read this. "Xocanyara."

Well yeah I kind of agree with you. The whole name was probably a bit to long so I changed into into somethig easier.

Again, does the H serve any purpose? Or it just a more complicated way of writing "Dunir"?

It was a bad idea for a name that I have now changed. But yes, probably more of a complicated way to write something than anything else.

Sounds Norse.

That was unexpected to be honest.

Another weird H.

Yeah, I know. :eek:

I don't think putting a T before a Z is necessary - when spoken, it's going to turn into Zizaya anyway.

I don't know. For me its a difference between Zitzaya and Zizaya when I say it out loud. Maybe not a huge difference but its there.

I like it. Gives it all a stylistic coherence, and "the Nine Kingdoms" sounds good.

Thanks. It was kind of what I was going after.

Ishron - Sounds almost middle eastern to me. A bit like 'Ishtar', once a prominent goddess of mesopotamia. A grand religious and trade center.

As a matter of fact I was indeed inspired by Ishtar for this name and the kingdom's cheif deity will of course be a goddess inspired by Ishtar (along with Anath, Kali and a few others...)

Kemor - Seems generic to me. I keep wanting to think of it as quasi Celtic for some reason, but that can't be right. Also want to think of it as a seaport, on the north shore of an inland sea.

Celtic? That was a bit unexpected to be honest.

Charruka (alt. Charrun) - Middle eastern or south asian. Makes me think of a temple or 'holy city'.

Yeah, you are pretty spot on. The main inspiration for the name was the Assyrian city of Dur-Sharrukin
Dur-Sharrukin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seratti - middle eastern. Obscure, at the edge of the desert.

Yep, kind of what I was imagining myself as well. Main inspiration was Hatti.
Hattians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xocatl - mesoamerican. An isolated city state, deep in the jungle, with a pyramid at its center.

Kind of what I was looking for to be honest.

Anshanka - middle eastern. Dark. Reminds me of 'Anshur', ancient sumerian deity. A forbidden city, worshipping an otherwise forgotten elder god.

I was actually picturing more of a tribal kingdom with some African style to it. But I won't deny that your idea has a certain flavor to it.

I'll have another go at this for you!
Ishron - A city definitely comes to mind. If I had to elaborate, some place in or near a desert.
Kemor - Could also work as a town but I don't feel 'city' off thing one.
Charruka (alt. Charrun) - Charruka sounds like a drink that you wake up from wishing you hadn't tried it out. Charrun is more of a name, an odd one, but not really a place.
Seratti - I could see a divine city or place with this one.
Tenoktha - Sounds like you just sneezed mid-word.
Xocatl - Jungle city of lore that probably doesn't exist but... maybe...
Anshanka - More of a name or god.
Zitzaya - Sounds like something someone would shout
Mijawa - For some reason I think Mogwai off that which in turn makes me not think of a city.

These give perspective on what an odd functioning brain I have.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting perspectives but obviously we do not think alike. ;) It was very fun reading through your responses however.

Inswhara - Japanese vibes
Xocanayara - Mesoamerican
Duhnir - Norse
Charruka/Charrun - Middle East
Seratti - African/Italian
Tenahmon - Egyptian
Ishron - Middle Eastern
Zitzaya - Mesoamerican (and keep the 't')
Mijawa - Japanese

P.S. Anshan(a)ka - nothing in particular

Thanks for the respons. I think I am kind of starting to see how a pattern is evolving about what sort of thing that people would expect from each kindom.

I think it would be best to stay away from anything begining with the letter 'X'

Really? How come?

Re construction of naming languages: I've posted two pieces lately on Conlanging for Beginners, specifically on how to create a naming language. You might find something useful there. Find them both here: The Labors of Ki'shto'ba Huge-Head: Naming Languages

Thanks for sharing. They will no doubt be very helpful. :)

I think I would want to add to that: Does the plot of your story (I presume you're writing a story and not just creating a world to be creating a world) need nine kingdoms? Is one or a few dominant? Or for example, are they all at war with each other, or forming alliances, that will make it necessary to refer to all of them? You may find that some of them don't get mentioned very often, but they WILL need to show up on your map.

The plot itself does not need nine kingdoms as such, not right now anyway. They obviously have different strengths to them and with different history behind them and cultures within them. Right now I imagine that it kind of in flux and that they are struggling with each other in order for one of them to become the master of all the land, or just survive.

I do agree that all of them will be shown on the map even while they may not necessarily have a large or important role in the story itself. I'm having the basis for a map in my head but I'm thinking that I shall get a bit firmer grasp on my world before I start to actually draw it.