• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Instant Gratification - Ignoring the itch

GeekDavid

Auror
Secondly, I don't share anything now that hasn't been written in full and received at least a revision or two. I don't want feedback on an incomplete piece. I want feedback on what I feel is really close to ready. Then, and only then, are readers valuable to me. Then they can spot the things I gloss over. Then they can contribute toward making my story better. Also, only then will I feel that validation that the story is good because I know I've put the work in.

I should point out that DWS does support and encourage using what he calls "trusted readers" to look things over after it's done... but he stresses the "after it's done" part.

Twook00

Sage
Secondly, I don't share anything now that hasn't been written in full and received at least a revision or two. I don't want feedback on an incomplete piece. I want feedback on what I feel is really close to ready. Then, and only then, are readers valuable to me. Then they can spot the things I gloss over. Then they can contribute toward making my story better. Also, only then will I feel that validation that the story is good because I know I've put the work in.

What if your readers find structural flaws after this point? Or they don't respond to a character very well? Does this ever happen where a simple revision won't fix the book?

I guess I fear putting a lot of time and effort into it only to find that I have to rewrite the whole thing once I get feedback.

GeekDavid

Auror
What if your readers find structural flaws after this point? Or they don't respond to a character very well? Does this ever happen where a simple revision won't fix the book?

You're never going to please everyone. For every reader that doesn't respond to a character very well, you're likely to have some that love that character.

On the extreme end, if your characterization is just plain bad, there's little harm done. The book won't sell very well (people can thumb through dead-tree books in stores, or download the sample for Kindle), but because few people buy and read it, it'll be forgotten very quickly, and you can make your next book better.

In fact, that should always be your goal, whether you've written one book or one hundred: make the next book better than the last. Sadly, some big-name authors seem to have forgotten this rule (coughRaymondFeistcough!).

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I guess my way of doing things isn't for everyone. However, it does work for me, and I do want to share it as an option worth trying.

Keep in mind, that my primary purpose with this novel is NOT to tell the story but to learn how to tell the story.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
What if your readers find structural flaws after this point? Or they don't respond to a character very well?
If they find any flaws in structure, if they don't like a character, or anything negative for that matter, then I'm grateful. That's exactly what I want and need. I don't need to hear "You're so amazing", at least not at this point. It's the criticism that's helpful. You need to understand that most great books are written during revision.

Does this ever happen where a simple revision won't fix the book?.
Yup. I've deleted entire POVs based off criticism I trust. Guess what? It made the story better.

I'll ask you a question in return. If you knew you had to cut 100 pages of writing, and rewrite a lot of it, but you knew it'd make the story good...wouldn't you do so?

You're eye should always be focused on doing what makes the story better, not focused on worrying about wasted work. I don't think any writing is ever wasted. Some writers even have to write 50-100 pages before they can find the real beginning point of the story. That's their process. It isn't wasted effort.

I guess I fear putting a lot of time and effort into it only to find that I have to rewrite the whole thing once I get feedback.
You'll need to get over that fear. I've found that rewriting is where the magic really happens. Now, instead of being depressed that I have a lot of revision to do, I get excited because I know that it's going to make the story better. That's all I care about, the end result. I'll do whatever it takes, however long it takes, to achieve that vision.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I've found that rewriting is where the magic really happens.

I'd like to emphasize this. If I write a scene and it's not working out I scrap it and start over. However, the memory of the original version isn't lost. The original writing is still there and it helps me make my second attempt better. :)

Twook00

Sage
This is exactly the kick-in-the-pants I needed. And to answer your question, I hope I would have the desire and tenacity to cut, write, and rewrite if that's what it took to write a good story. Then again, I've not finished many of my projects. I think TWErivin had it right. This is a self-discipline issue.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This is exactly the kick-in-the-pants I needed. And to answer your question, I hope I would have the desire and tenacity to cut, write, and rewrite if that's what it took to write a good story. Then again, I've not finished many of my projects. I think TWErivin had it right. This is a self-discipline issue.

My greatest challenge, which I have not yet bested, is to finish this story.

Mythopoet

Auror
I would lose enthusiasm if I didn't talk to my husband about my ideas and let him read what I write.

All writers are different. DWS should no better than to suggest all writers should work like that.

GeekDavid

Auror
I would lose enthusiasm if I didn't talk to my husband about my ideas and let him read what I write.

All writers are different. DWS should no better than to suggest all writers should work like that.

Go to his site and tell him that. He'll probably respond, he replied to my email to him within 24 hours.

Mythopoet

Auror
I don't need to. I know that he knows better. I used to read his blog regularly. I don't anymore because I find I don't really benefit from his advice anymore. I still read his wife's though.

Quillstine

Troubadour
I would lose enthusiasm if I didn't talk to my husband about my ideas and let him read what I write..

Everyone is different, and I love seeing the way writers tick!
For me, I feel sharing is essential to keep the fire burning. Don’t get me wrong, premature criticism is a killer. If someone unjustly comes down like a ton of lead bricks on a piece of work to early in its life, it’s hard to collect the shattered ego of the floor and keep the words flowing! But by that same token, if I keep my work locked up in my mind and don’t air it, well it goes stale.
One the best parts of writing a story for me is sitting up late at night in bed and reading the new parts to my wife. Firstly, the reading aloud to another person is a profoundly amazing editing tool. I can read, re-read and triple read my work again and still miss some of the glaring things that get illuminated when I read it aloud to another. But more importantly, the sharing builds momentum. I learn more about characters and my world in a way I just don’t if I keep it to myself. By sharing my work…I myself get excited about finding out where the story is going go to. This enthuses me to keep the chapters rolling on out!
I’ll admit I share rarely with others; there is small group of people, who I consider the inner mot sanctum of my life who get to leaf through my chapters. My wife, a best friend from high school and an old English teacher with whom I am still in contact with, make up the entire cast! This is based on an irrational fear and swelling of nerves whenever I consider the concept of someone thrashing my work to pieces. Or even reading it and being nice! It makes me shake! I guess have the opposite issue, sharing feeds my fire and I’m just nervous to!
My three friends, who do read my work, are fantastic. Don’t get me wrong, their nasty as can be and reduce my work down to its bare elemental faults. It can be brutal, but I always come out of it feeling like I have something to go off, something to improve. What’s more important to me is they also fall in love with my characters, my worlds, my concepts. They also begin to want to know where it is going, what will happen. Nothing makes me want to write more.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chessie

I don't think there's any big problem with that. Not everything a writer makes is going to be their magnum opus. Writing sometimes has to be practice to get better so when it's time to write your "masterpiece" it doesn't come off like writing practice. It's true you only have a certain number of hours a day to write, but we're also spending precious time looking at Facebook, writing blogs, and commenting on internet forums. So I don't see the harm in actually spending time writing things that "may not matter." Maybe in the grand scheme of things, they don't seem like they matter. But when it comes time to truly write something you're putting all your passion into, it may pay off. Not everything can be a passion project. Sometimes just writing to exorcise some demons or whatever helps a lot.

Take it from someone who has done a lot "useless writing." It helps and it's fun. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work for you, by all means follow the path that works best.
Oh my goodness, this! ^^ Writing meaningless stuff always helps me relax and get more ideas for the project I'm vesting my soul into.

There's this buddy of mine/beta reader who I send pieces of work to on occasion for feedback, before I even edit it. Reason being is that not only is he supportive, but he has a way of giving feedback that is magical for me. He's not easy on me by any means but he is constructive and I appreciate him immensely. This is why I don't buy into "never show your work before its done".

True, all of us work differently so the same advice doesn't apply across the board. I like having his feedback before I edit it because somehow it clears things up for the editing process. He and my husband are the only people I do this with. My husband...not so much sometimes because he's more into Sci Fi and I'm the Fantasy gal. But if I kept myself from asking their opinions I would go crazy because the feedback is what motivates me.

And their feedback doesn't turn me off from my work either. Guess it just works for me this way.

Jabrosky

Banned
I am experiencing the OP's problem right now. I have this one idea I would love to share with the forum, but this time I have chosen to restrain myself from sharing it because of the risk that my current excitement may wear off the moment people see it in text.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The same happens with me. The original idea is exciting, but the actual writing is work. If I start telling the story to others, it's like driving that shiny new car around. It's fun, but then it's no longer quite a new car any longer.

I do not like sharing my work too early. To me, it's like sending a child out poorly dressed, or like having someone listen to my new song when I haven't written the chorus and I only have half the words then demanding to know if they like it or not. It sort of doesn't matter if they like it because the finished product will be different.

So I wait until I feel I've done my best job of critical editing. Then it goes to critiquers. Only then to an agent or editor. Honestly, only after that do I feel ready to show it to kith and kin. Not many kith, mostly kin.