• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Introduction to Writing: Science Fiction and Fantasy

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I saw this over on Google+. Might be worth a look as I believe it is taught by Michael Stackpole, who has written over 40 books including some in the Star Wars universe. I'd take it if I had the time at the moment. I'm always looking for resources to learn more especially when there is the chance to learn from a successful author.

You can check it out here if you're interested. The entry fee is $65 which isn't too bad in my opinion.

https://www.canvas.net/courses/introduction-to-writing-science-fiction-and-fantasy

Gurkhal

Auror
The fact that all of the material was writen by the teacher himself was a bit off-putting to me to be honest.

Scribble

Archmage
You can listen to some of his earlier ideas on writing fiction from "The Secrets" podcast.

The Secrets: The podcast for serious writers!

I've listened to all his stuff, but I think downloaded them off iTunes. They are free anyhow. Stackpole is a bit of a windbag, but he seems to provide good advice.

Last edited:

Kn'Trac

Minstrel
Stackpole is a bit of a windbag, but he seems to provide good advice.

Having read about 10 of his novels, I must say that they rarely last longer than 3 days when I start reading them. From the first few pages, he picks you up and transports you through whatever universe he's writing in. I don't really care whether he's a windbag or not, as long as the books keep coming, I'll keep reading them.

BTW: nice avatar, always had a soft spot for "The Dark Crystal".