• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Iron

Tom

Istar
So...I was wondering if anyone was familiar with blacksmithing/smelting and knew this. I'm looking for the proper term for poor-quality iron--whether iron that was poor-quality to begin with, or has been worked and reworked so much it is too brittle or unable to be shaped correctly. I know there's a word for it, but it keeps eluding me.

X Equestris

Maester
Cast iron is typically brittle, though it doesn't start out that way. I'm not sure if that helps. If I find out what iron that starts out poor is called, I'll let you know.

Reactions: Tom

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I thought slag was what the impurities taken from smelted metal are called, not the metal itself.

X Equestris

Maester
Pig Iron comes from smelting iron with a high carbon fuel like coke. Because it has a very high carbon content, it's brittle and isn't directly useful for much. I guess it's a sort of intermediate stage.

It's not naturally occurring, of course. I can't find any sort of special term for a poor quality iron that hasn't been touched by people.

Reactions: Tom

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm not even sure what would qualify as "poor" in this context. Maybe with lousy alloys, but some alloys actually make iron stronger.

Let's back up. Why did you ask the question?

Tom

Istar
Um, the answer's kind of stupid, actually. I'm writing a parody fantasy about a rather sadistic talking sword and the hero it forces to go on a quest with it. At one point, the hero insults the sword, and what better way to insult someone than to question the quality of whatever they came from?

I decided "scrap metal" sounded too modern, as well as a little weak, so I wanted to know the term for poor-quality iron.

By poor-quality, I mean iron that can't be used in a quality product--whether it's too brittle to be heated to the temperature required for forging, or has an uneven texture that makes it difficult to form into the desired shape. I think the term I was looking for is "red-short".

Tom

Istar
would readers get that? i wouldn't get it, it would break the flow for me

Yeah...probably not. Maybe I should think of something different. I don't like it when writers use words that you would have no way of knowing unless you read the thesaurus for fun, and I wouldn't like to see the same habit popping up in my own work.