• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Irony behind frst person narration... any suggestions?

beckyefp

I generally avoid writing in the first person point of view because of the irony that seems almost uncontrollable when you have characters thinking about themselves. I tend to have more luck controlling and directing irony when writing in a third person limited POV, but I’d really like to gain more control over the first person POV. Some characters are overconfident and come across as jerks. In these situations, it’s comedic when something bad happens to them, or when the audience discovers or has prior knowledge of the error in their perceptions. Irony is created when there is a discrepancy between what the characters believe and what the audience knows, right? It seems like pity is commonly evoked from a reader when you have an over confident/deluded character, but pity doesn’t add to his or her likeability.

I wonder what the effects are when writing from the POV of a character who is overly aware of his or her flaws. There must be irony there too, right? The irony may be comedic, but I assume it would be less likely to evoke pity. What would it evoke? I feel like characters are more likeable when they are aware of their flaws. What are your opinions? Can anyone think of a good example where irony plays a part in making a character more likeable?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I've only read a few authors that use FPOV. The best one I've read is Jacqueline Carey. The trick I find that she uses is to employ ideal characters. Characters that have higher level of education, more worldly, and therefor, less likely to be ignorant.

If you chose to use a character with flaws such as arrogance or ignorance, then focus on his reaction after such flaws are exposed. How does the MC handle being humiliated? How about rejection? Guilt? This is where you're going to find the greatest depth from your MC. It is also where your readers will focus more of their attention.